Author Topic: Something a little different for me color wise  (Read 2354 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Something a little different for me color wise
« on: 06/08/17 18:23 UTC »
I made this color combo up trying to match a Kalins frog colored bait a few weeks ago. Just the body color. I added the tail color. Now I am getting a few requests for it. Not many guys fish frog colored baits for walleyes around here. That may be changing. LOL

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Something a little different for me color wise
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/17 18:57 UTC »
I like it. Is the tail green chartreuse? After the crazy amount of frogs I've been finding in the walleyes I've kept the last few years spring and fall I've been using a lot more froggy looking colors especially in the swimshad.  I'm actually thinking of getting one of the frog molds to fish walleyes on the rivers in my area.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/08/17 18:58 UTC »
Natural colors rock for river waldo and sauger here.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/17 20:20 UTC »
It's just 4 drops of X2 chartreuse and a dose of UV. A friend turned me onto some green pumpkin Scrubs made by Kalin this spring.  It's a hard bait to explain. It's basically half grub half frog but the walleyes and saugers like it. A friend caught a 27" eye on one of those Scrubs Tuesday as a matter of fact. Anyhow, I had the same thought about a frog mold. I was able to pick one up from a member of the board here. Tom may recognize the frog in the pic. LOL

I ended up with a 3" CC Croaker. That was my first try hand pouring a belly color on that mold and it turned out great.  Super easy mold to shoot. I've not had the chance to fish one yet but I gave a few to my top bait tester to try. Wait and see I guess.

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/08/17 20:22 UTC »
Some good baits there.

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/08/17 20:23 UTC »
I like it. Is the tail green chartreuse? After the crazy amount of frogs I've been finding in the walleyes I've kept the last few years spring and fall I've been using a lot more froggy looking colors especially in the swimshad.  I'm actually thinking of getting one of the frog molds to fish walleyes on the rivers in my area.

That would be awesome if you could tap into a topwater walleye bite. I'm no walleye fisherman but I've never heard of catching them on topwater.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/08/17 20:42 UTC »
I fish those on a 3 way rig. Depending on the current, I use a 3/8 to 1/2 oz Walleye head jig with a swim shad, 3.5" a trimmed Thump Grub or a Scrub as my dropper and fish a bucktail fly on about 3-4 foot runner. I use a barrel swivel instead of a 3 way swivel as I don't get near as many malfunctions with a barrel swivel as I do with a 3 way swivel. I use 10 pound Nanofil for my main line and use 8 pound fluorocarbon line for the jig/fly rig. Sort of like a Dubuque rig I guess.

The only time I have caught walleyes on a top water bait was while skipping a catfish worm out of a logjam to avoid getting snagged. It's happened a few times where a walleye whacked that catfish worm as it skipped over the water in a few small open spots in the logjam. Talk about a surprise catch. A catfish worm all munged up with stink bait catching eyes. And some folks are all worried about human scent affecting whether a walleye will bite or not.  LOL

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/08/17 20:45 UTC »
Forgot, I am fishing that on a 7'6" MLXF Avid. I am really impressed with how sensitive that Nanofil line is. You feel everything with that set up.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/08/17 20:51 UTC »
That's a great looking color. I'm thinking that should slaughter some bass too.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/08/17 23:21 UTC »
2XL GREAT COLOR. It's amazing how big of fish can be caught on the 7' 6" MLXF. I fish a eyecon and have got many eyes and muskies the biggest was 47" also the manofil has great strength and long cast ability.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/09/17 11:16 UTC »
I fish a 7'6" MLXF with 6lb suffix nano braid a lot.  Love that Long rod for casting lighter jig and plastics especially.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 06/09/17 15:20 UTC »
Those are some clean looking baits, nice work.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 06/10/17 09:16 UTC »
Thanks all. I am pretty happy with how they turned out. It's not often I get exactly what I am looking for color wise on my first try.

Lines - The bass like them for sure. I gave a few sample baits to a guy I work with and he and his son both got decent sized bass ( for around here anyway ) on a heavily pressured lake. I gave him the baits on Friday and Monday he wanted to buy a few packs of them. LOL

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 06/10/17 11:14 UTC »
That's what I was thinking. Good job!