Author Topic: E-Core Issue  (Read 288 times)

Offline semi22lr

• Keeper
E-Core Issue
« on: 06/11/17 20:33 UTC »
I keep getting this on one of my Senko molds. Bottom cavity fills perfectly and then only partial fills on the other three. Thinking the gate my be too small for the 0.125 diameter brass rod. This only happens on the 5" Senko mold. 4" Senko and 6" Senko ES molds do not have this issue.

Anyone else run into this?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: E-Core Issue
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/17 20:38 UTC »
How hot are you injecting and how fast is the injection each time? It seems that you have enough gate clearance. Have you tried heating the rods just before clamping and injecting?

Offline cubanice27

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 06/18/17 00:27 UTC »
Hey guys I'm new to the site as well as pouring. Can someone explain what's going on in the picture? I do understand it's to add a different color in the middle but how? How do you pour in the middle? How do you remove the rod? I've been looking for like 2 hours and it's now 12:27am and still can't find a "how to". Thanks!!

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/18/17 07:25 UTC »
In a nutshell, I cut a piece of brass rod that fits the length of the mold I want to core color. Semis pic shows what it should look like with the pins in place. You just have to make sure your pin diameter doesn't close off the gate too much. Gate = the hole that leads directly to the bait cavity. Once your pins are cut , I rub a little worm oil on them, set them in the mold, then shoot the outer color. Once the baits cool off enough to handle I remove the baits then remove the pins. The worm oil helps ease pulling the pins out of the baits. Now you have baits with a core hole all or most of the way through your bait. I then make sure the core hole doesn't have any obstructions on the ends, I place the cored baits back in the mold then shoot my core color. There is a slight learning curve/trial and error to shooting baits like this but it's not too difficult. You will have the process down in no time with a little practice. The main thing ( I think ) is to not use to large a diameter core pin and shoot your plastic a little hotter than you normally would.

I use brass rod but you could use any metal rod. I like using brass rods and buy them at the local True Value hardware store.

Some molds are super easy to E core while others are not worth the hassle. I've never shot any Senkos before but just by looking at the pics it should be a super easy one to E core. What bait/baits are you wanting to E core ?

Oh , and with semis baits above. I think I would try a slightly thinner diameter pin and/or try filing the end of the pin to a point on the gate end of the mold.

I have no clue what your experience level is but I suggest you get a little experience shooting one color baits first. Once you have those down and understand the process then try doing some E core baits.

Welcome to the board and don't be afraid to ask questions if/when you run into any problems.
« Last Edit: 06/18/17 07:27 UTC by 2XL »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/18/17 08:50 UTC »
Hey guys I'm new to the site as well as pouring. Can someone explain what's going on in the picture? I do understand it's to add a different color in the middle but how? How do you pour in the middle? How do you remove the rod? I've been looking for like 2 hours and it's now 12:27am and still can't find a "how to". Thanks!!

Cubanice.....welcome to the Do-It forums.

X2 does a great job of describing the process here and he also brings up another thought about making sure one has the injection process for plain baits down well and a thorough understanding of the plastic before jumping into this or any other expanded techniques. Learning the plastic has plenty of frustrations without compounding an injection with twin injectors or rods being tossed in the mix before a person knows how plastic handles and flows.

In the picture I see the plastic cooling too much before it can fill the top three cavities. Was the 5" mold the last one to be injected? The gate appears to be adequate in my opinion, but a slightly smaller rod may help. Your picture just tells me the plastic wasn't warm enough. When using  a rod like this a person has to be certain that the plastic is quite warm and that the components being used are warm as well so the incoming plastic doesn't freeze off before the injection is complete and the only way to know that its hot enough is with a thermometer. I wouldn't attempt a shot in a cavity with the rod unless I was working with 340 degree plastic....either the body color or the core. and only then with very warm plastic.

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/19/17 14:29 UTC »
Hey semi -

I recommend two things:
=>hotter plastic which is less viscous (flows easier) and takes longer to cool (giving more time to inject)...  just be careful not to get too hot or you'll discolor/burn your plastic.
=>preheat any fussy molds (this is how I got 3 out of 3 "spanked lizards" perfect on the first try).

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/19/17 14:55 UTC »

Hey Cubanice - To see pictures of how it's done with various molds and cores, follow the links below... hope it helps you hit the ground water running.

Here's the original post: http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9565.msg74176#msg74176
the next in the series: http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9663.msg74495#msg74495
and a couple of specialties: http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9697.msg74840#msg74840; http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9951.msg77130#msg77130