Author Topic: aspirin jig  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
aspirin jig
« on: 06/29/17 16:11 UTC »
I just got these done and figured I would share a pic.  does anyone make these? I have a lot that doesn't want to turn out on the very top of the head so I have to remelt lots of them and re pour. Any idea what would cause that? I hate having to hassle with that just to get a perfect pour.  I smoked the mold to see if that would help and it didn't make any difference. I don't smoke any of my molds and thats the first one ive did.anyway I got these to turn out pretty good.

Online Mike J

• Lunker
Re: aspirin jig
« Reply #1 on: 06/29/17 17:24 UTC »
Nice jigs.  Not sure how much lead pouring you've done so this might be a little basic. Make sure you are using soft lead. Not that you can't pour with hard, but soft is easier. While your lead is heating up put the mold on top of the pot so it warms up nicely.  Next I always pour a few with nothing in the cavities to heat up a bit more.  This mold should pour pretty easy so I would think that is all that's needed.  In some smaller molds or mold cavities with a lot of hardware in them I like to use drop out and that seems to help a stubborn mold fill nicely. Good luck and keep making cool stuff.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 06/29/17 18:15 UTC »
Thank you. I do think its a mix of soft lead and hard because I purchased some soft lead or atleast was told it was soft lead.  I did end up remelting a bunch of catfish sinkers that I had made of soft lead. Anyway  I did melt down some wheel weights which were hard lead so long story shortits probably a mix.  I dont understand though because im making round head jigs and they turn out fine. I guess I will go ahead and make what is left in my pot into round head jigs.   I just ordered 50lb of lead from a sail boat keel im not sure whether or not that is hard lead or soft ? I googled some on it and it said soft so hopefully that is right ? Thanks for the help I will definitely start pre heating my molds.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/29/17 19:09 UTC »
I order all of my lead and lead alloys from Rotometals. That way you know exactly what you are getting.

https://www.rotometals.com

For example https://www.rotometals.com/lead-mini-ingot-pure-99-9-1-pound/

When you read the description you see that it has a hardness rating of 5 which is soft and it's 99.9% pure.

When pouring a mold with the wire inserts (bait keepers) I use an alloy with 3-5% antimony which makes the lead "hard" so the wires don't come out.

https://www.rotometals.com/antimonial-lead-metal-3-5-antimony-lead/

Most would recommend never using wheel weights because of numerous contaminates.

Hope this helps.

Andy

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 06/29/17 21:09 UTC »
Yeah I thought about trying the roto metals  and you get what you pay for but as much as im planning on making that would eat me up in costs atleast id think ?My goal is to make more than ill ever probably use  and sale a bunch atleast that my plan.