Author Topic: Ultra minnow spinner mold help  (Read 5533 times)

Offline jones02

• Yearling
Ultra minnow spinner mold help
« on: 06/30/17 18:18 UTC »
I've just got this mold in and having issues with incomplete pours. I'm using a bottom pour pot, pure soft lead, heat the mold i top of the pot, and smoke the mold. I havnt had any issues with all my other molds but this one, it's driving me crazy.
The body of the bait pours fine but it's just the collar around the hook that isn't filling in.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Ultra minnow spinner mold help
« Reply #1 on: 06/30/17 18:53 UTC »
Try keeping the wires in a real warm area while you cast and if possible try tilting the mold upwards....hinge end up higher....slightly.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/30/17 19:07 UTC »
CTom's right, the lead is cooling before it fills the hookshank. Other things you can try is to fill the mold with no hooks or parts in it to warm the mold up. ( just throw the lead back in the pot. Another thing you could try is to fill the mold with a ladel. This gets the lead in the mold quicker.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/30/17 22:53 UTC »
Yup ^^^ crank up your Lee pot (to get your lead hotter), make your mold basically too hot to touch (to slow the cooling), and try preheating your hooks, especially if you up-size them (because they are directly affecting the collar).

Offline jones02

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 07/01/17 17:09 UTC »
Thanks a lot guys! Will give that a try.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 07/01/17 20:46 UTC »
Just place the spout of the pot inside each mold cavity gate when you pour.  That's how I pour every head now. Never have a problem of a head not pouring completely.

Offline Steve J

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 07/01/17 22:16 UTC »
Just place the spout of the pot inside each mold cavity gate when you pour.  That's how I pour every head now. Never have a problem of a head not pouring completely.
Do you use Shure Out?

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 07/01/17 22:23 UTC »
Do you use Shure Out?
No and not sure what this is. I pour some pretty complicated heads and no problems. I don't smoke my molds, tilt my molds or pre heat my hardware. Thinking maybe I need to do some videos for y'all.
« Last Edit: 07/01/17 22:26 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline alwrenn

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 07/01/17 23:37 UTC »
I agree with Thump.  Too much space between the spout and mold can cause incomplete filling.  Too much air could be getting into your mold.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 07/02/17 07:53 UTC »
I agree with Thump. I don't use any release agent ,tilt my molds or preheat any components save the mold itself. There are a few molds where I place the spout right into the mold cavity gate to make sure I get a completely filled jig head every time. I only do that for a few molds like the Pony Head type molds that have small cavities/swivels poured into them.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 07/02/17 08:46 UTC »
I agree with Thump. I don't use any release agent ,tilt my molds or preheat any components save the mold itself. There are a few molds where I place the spout right into the mold cavity gate to make sure I get a completely filled jig head every time. I only do that for a few molds like the Pony Head type molds that have small cavities/swivels poured into them.
Yup that's what I do. Pretty much the molds I use have a weedguard, wire insert and/or a wire keeper along with an over sized hook crammed into a 1/4 oz head or smaller. A lot going on in a small area.
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 08:50 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 07/02/17 09:09 UTC »
I've always pretty much been a ladle pourer on simple jigs but as heads and their extras [texturing and wires/swivels] have shown up I have more and more had to go back to the bottom pour furnace to get better fills when pouring what we might call a complex head.
My 1/64 and 1/80 Semi-Custom molds I can hand pour with ease but a 1/16 Bat or Pony or Ultra-type head I have to mechanically pour and that nozzle has got to be tucked right into the gate. My collarless 1/32-1/24 roundhead mold calling for the wires can be hand fed for the most part but these heads require some tin in the lead to anchor the wires so I dig out the 4 pound hand-pour pot with the harder lead for them. The 1/16 underspin head made me crazy trying to get consistently full pours with harder lead hand-pouring so I dug out an old 10 pound bottom pour that had a small leak in the pot/nozzle area. I heated that animal up with the harder lead and got really complete pours but I also got some blisters as random acts of un-kind lead dripping inside the cuff of the glove occurred. I'll order a new cup some day and be done with the issue.

But Thump and X2 have is dialed with the need to put that nozzle right into the gate. Sometimes though tipping the mold one direction or another will help with lead flow of perhaps having the inserts and hooks heated will help. Just as a note....I have never smoked a mold or sprayed one with any release agent and I've been doing this for over 50 years.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Steve J

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 07/02/17 09:34 UTC »
Want to thank everyone for this information.
I had all but given up.
Having not being able to get the bait holder side of the Jacobs spin mold to even come close to coming out as a useable jig.
Just returned from shop where I placed the spigot inside the mold cavity before the pour.
100% success!!
Dead Solid Perfect!

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 07/02/17 09:40 UTC »
Want to thank everyone for this information.
I had all but given up.
Having not being able to get the bait holder side of the Jacobs spin mold to even come close to coming out as a useable jig.
Just returned from shop where I placed the spigot inside the mold cavity before the pour.
100% success!!
Dead Solid Perfect!
Good stuff right there and glad it worked for ya!   8)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 07/02/17 10:42 UTC »
That's what this forum is all about. Guys helping guys make good tackle and helping each other!