Author Topic: recipe for berkley motor oil?/  (Read 4030 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: recipe for berkley motor oil?/
« Reply #15 on: 07/11/17 14:13 UTC »
In 4 ounces I think you may need more than 12 drops of the mf but start there to see how dense the color appears. Like Mike has suggested, this is to YOUR preference so there's no right or wrong recipe. I leave my MO without glitter and I definitely like changeable. If you want some pizzazz, add the glitter you think will fire it up.

The Do-It and Essential MO colors are pretty straight forward deep amber colors. You could work up the intensity of the color you want then add green hi lite to give it a nice surface sheen of green that would shift as you move the bait around in different light or angles to light.

Most all of my go-to colors are home-brewed and are nothing at all like the so called factory or standard colors. We all see color differently and that is the true beauty of this hobby.....what you make is all yours.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 07/11/17 17:21 UTC »
Sometimes I use glitter, sometimes not. I like a light transparent amberish motor oil with black and gold glitter. Close to new Pennzoil color. No nerves left to get on here Shaunm81.....lol. 2 oz. medium plastisol, 5 drops x2 motor oil, 1 drop  x2 flourescent yellow. .040 gold, .040 black as your eye likes it.

Sorry, should be 4 oz. plastisol.
« Last Edit: 07/11/17 19:07 UTC by Lines »

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 07/11/17 18:44 UTC »
I use 6 drops of ES Motor Oil to 4oz plastic. But everyone has their own idea of what any given color should look like so you could add more or less colorant to get the color that YOU want.

I made some motor oil Mayflys the other day with a bit of gold and black glitter.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 07/11/17 19:09 UTC »
Black and gold glitter seems to work well with motor oil. I've never tried copper glitter, but I think it would be good also.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 07/11/17 21:11 UTC »
I used a small amount of the large flake glitter. I didn't want my baits to look like an underwater sparkler. LOL I want to try some large red flake too the next time I get a little time to cook up some plastic for myself.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #20 on: 07/11/17 21:12 UTC »
Thanks every one. I am not sure truthfully what im going to order as far as what motor oil to get. Ctom how does hi  lites work?add directly to the uncooked plastic or is there any certain way and amount to do this? I am also going to order some heat stabalizer how should thst be added? Should it be added after I inject and reheat?added into the still hot plastic or should I add after the plastic cools in the pyrex cup im not sure ? Anyway thanks

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 08/06/17 10:47 UTC »
I use x2 motor oil w/ green hilite and often with black and red flake. Brown being a pretty neutral color makes it really versatile, any of the hilites and glitters can work well. Ribbon tail worms I pair it with orange tails.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 08/06/17 18:32 UTC »
Shaunm81....

Dang man, I'm sorry I missed this question until just now, but put the hi lite in your plastic so it can work from the inside out, if that makes any sense for you. I'd start with a small amount, maybe the size of a match head, in 4 ounces of plastic. Depending on how dense or opaque the plastic color is you may want more or less. With the X2 colorant I'd try to keep the transparency there but still have a nice rich brown color then add green hi lites.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 01/18/18 17:40 UTC »
Thanks Ctom Its ok and appreciate the help much appreciated. Sorry about renewing this thread its been forever im just now getting a chance to get time to post been really busy.