Author Topic: recipe for berkley motor oil?/  (Read 8370 times)

Offline kevin

• Kicker
recipe for berkley motor oil?/
« on: 07/02/17 08:59 UTC »
Any one have a good recipe for this color? It is color changing .

Thnx
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 09:02 UTC by kevin »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: recipe for berkley motor oil?/
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/17 09:12 UTC »
Its a bleeder.

http://pouryourownworms.com/17-Motor-Oil-changeable-2oz-3317X2.htm

It does make a very nice motor oil. Spike-It shows two motor oils that are both dyes and will also be bleeders. One is a brown and the other a greenish, neither indicate being a changeable in their descriptions. The M-F motor oil is a green going to brown-amber and is transparent. River walleyes and sauger in this area like the M-F product's color.
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 09:17 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline kevin

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/17 17:10 UTC »
thank you

its a changeable with redish/ orange tint

Offline Edgecrusher

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/06/17 16:21 UTC »
Its a bleeder.

http://pouryourownworms.com/17-Motor-Oil-changeable-2oz-3317X2.htm

It does make a very nice motor oil. Spike-It shows two motor oils that are both dyes and will also be bleeders. One is a brown and the other a greenish, neither indicate being a changeable in their descriptions. The M-F motor oil is a green going to brown-amber and is transparent. River walleyes and sauger in this area like the M-F product's color.

Spike its is changable as well, I use the 148 motor oil a lot, it pours green, and colour changes to an amber brown. The other one they have I have but haven't used yet.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/09/17 23:09 UTC »
Hi guys was wondering about possibly putting some motor oil also but what all do I need to do this?I am new to all this soft bait stuff and was curious about putting together some together . Does Do it have the colorant id need to achieve this? Sorry to jump on Kevins thread but figure id go head and ask rather then make a new thread.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/10/17 00:47 UTC »
Do-it does sell X2 motor oil but it is not the changeable kind.  It also does not bleed.  If your looking for changeable motor oil you will have to look at one of the other manufacturers.  I'm pretty sure all the changeable colorants bleed.  The changeable motor oil I have doesn't bleed much if you don't go crazy with it.  I still take precautions with any bleeder and keep them separate to be sure they don't give me problems.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/10/17 08:31 UTC »
As Mike mentions here, the Spike-It and M-F motor oils will bleed if you really juice up the color. I lay chartreuse tails against the M-F bleeding color but it will take a whole summer of fishing to see much bleeding between the two colors. When I make any color that bleeds or may bleed I keep the baits in a small ziplock so they don't come in contact with a box full of different colors and I usually make only enough to fish for a week or two.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/10/17 14:04 UTC »
Ok where is the X2 Motor oil colorant listed on the Do it site? I only see it in the essential series Motor oil colorant.  I will buy that if I have to but wonder how many drops of the essential series would i need and glitter color ? Also might sound like a stupid question but are you guys referring to by "Bleeder"? is it the colorant releases from the hot plastics on to the others. anyway thanks guys sorry all new to this soft bait stuff

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 07/10/17 14:58 UTC »
If the Motor Oil color is not listed on the site under the 2X is might temporarily out of stock. Check back in a few days on the site or you could send a message to one of the Do-It folks and find out when they expect it to be back in stock.  My personal opinion, I would wait for the 2X but to each his own.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 07/10/17 16:04 UTC »
I use the essential motor oil colorant and have not noticed any bleeding with it. Then again, I keep the same colored baits together and have not done any multi colored baits with that particular colorant. It's not a changeable color but the fish don't seem to mind.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 07/10/17 16:33 UTC »
The X2 and Essential colors do not shift, of appear to change colors, hence the term changeable, nor do they bleed. They are a single color. Changeable colors are formulated different and have a nasty trail of bleeding, or allowing one color to stain of fade into another color. Lots of tackle trays of baits have been ruined by bleeding colors being stored openly with other colors.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 07/10/17 20:28 UTC »
2xl, how many drops of the essential series motor oil colorant do you use to 4oz of plastic? Or what would be the correct amount of x2 colorant motor oil would i need?What color glitter ?Thanks

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #12 on: 07/11/17 00:54 UTC »
I use MF motor oil. I only pour in 1 cup amounts 25 drops or so. I do a transparent version with gold and black that works well for me.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 07/11/17 12:39 UTC »
Okay so i should do  around 12 drops of the mf for 4oz of plastic ?Any glitter ?Or can leave it out?   Sorry to ask so many questions im probably starting to get on you guys nerves lol

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 07/11/17 13:44 UTC »
I've made motoroil with no glitter and it looks great. A lot of it has gold glitter.  I like the changeable kind myself. As far as how many drops I can't remember off hand but start with 4 see how it looks and keep adding until you get what you like.  My opinion is who cares what Berkeley motor oil looks like, make Shaunm81 motor oil and go catch some fish.