Author Topic: 2018 Elite Schedule  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
2018 Elite Schedule
« on: 07/10/17 12:47 UTC »
Bassmaster just released their 2018 Elite schedule today. Of interest to us guys in the north they will fish the Mississippi at La Crosse June 21-24. The for a first they will fish Lake Oahe June29-July2!!

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: 2018 Elite Schedule
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/17 18:41 UTC »
Lake Martin in February is going to be a mother :o.  That lake is huge, deep and super clear.  As a guy that has fished it several times and never done well, I am anxious to see how the elites tackle it.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/11/17 21:44 UTC »
This will mark the fourth time Bass Masters has been in La Crosse since 2012... the reason that these fellas are traveling here to fish is the same reason I (generally) don't go elsewhere to fish. 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/17 06:34 UTC »
I've never fished LaCrosse, but was told the key was to find moving water. Fish the current, that's where the fish are?

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/12/17 15:17 UTC »
Yes, generally speaking every species relates to the current to some degree or another (except maybe some far off backwater fish).  Of course each species has a different preference, so you won't (typically) find walleyes on the same wing-dams as bluegills; and right along with current are the other factors we all know such as cover, depth, temperature, etc., that also makes it more suitable for one particular species over another.  But there is no question that the larger and/or more active feeding fish position themselves for the current to bring food to them, which is pretty much like their version of room service.  This can be clearly seen by the top patterns from last year's Elite tournament... Ott DeFoe pretty much camped on the spillway the entire tourney, Seth Feider was fishing sand breaks, and Alton Jones was fishing a main river rock pile.  (Plenty of other current patterns were also used, but these were the top three finishes.)