Author Topic: Fishing in the rocks  (Read 2346 times)

Offline CrappieCat

• Yearling
Fishing in the rocks
« on: 07/26/17 08:33 UTC »
For Crappies ,
Cast and retrieve method,
What is your preferred jig head style
that you use for less hang ups ?
Is one better than good old round head.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Fishing in the rocks
« Reply #1 on: 07/26/17 08:51 UTC »
I pretty much use just collarless ballheads for all of my crappie fishing and that includes rocks. The one exception is that I'll use a collarless ballhead mold and cast a #6 wacky hook into it at 1/32 ounce and a size 2 wacky hook for larger heads up to about 3/16 for fishing rip rap and wing dams or even sunken rock piles. The more forward eye of the hook allows this jig to swim way more natural and also allows me to crawl the rig over and around rocks without getting hung too often and then its more from the head itself falling into a crevice and not the hook.

Rocks are one of those structures that a guy has to plan on losing a few heads in if he is going to fish rock successfully. In some instances a slip or fixed float will let you fish over rock  without issue but if the wind/waves come up that float won't prevent hang-ups unless its set way above the rock. What I have found on crappies [and sunfish] relating to rocks is that they will suspend over them or in the cast of rip-rip along side of them and the closer the fish are to the rock the more active they tend to be. On rip-rap I find the most active fish are usually where the rock and the mud bottom meet but rip-rap crappies can be active anywhere in the water column along the structure.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/26/17 13:06 UTC »
In Indiana we don't have much rock. Most of our lakes are marl or sandy. You find the crappies scattered along the weed line. My favorite jig is the aspirin  head in 1/16 or 1/8. I usually put a eye on it so I don't have to bother with eyes on my plastics. (Usually fish it under a bobber)

Offline senkosam

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/18 11:31 UTC »
Ctom- ditto.

I also use collarsless ballheads, 1/32 or 1/24 with #6 hooks. Sometimes when I get stuck on a rock, I put a bend in the rod held high by pulling the line sideways and pluck the line in hopes it will pop the lure free. I works 80% of the time when I'm using a light action rod. Otherwise I have to go to where the lure is stuck, reel down to it and push/jiggle the jig free. Never works when stuck on wood except the pushing part.

As far as casting and the retrieve, I routinely use a light action rod for ease of casting light jigs long distances of over 30', braid that has no memory to limit casting distance (even in a spincast reel), a 4# or 6# test fluorocarbon leader for a bit of line stretch and abrasion resistance and a reel with at least a 3:5 ratio.

As far as retrieve, lure design dictates the type of retrieve. The more subtle the tail motion when the lure is paused, the least rod tip action applied. Slow reel handle turns with pauses using light jigs, usually imparts lure action fish can't ignore. Using heavier jigs 1/8 oz or more, a more steady retrieve with pauses or a hop on bottom retrieve works for me.
« Last Edit: 08/06/18 11:42 UTC by senkosam »

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 08/06/18 16:56 UTC »
I too, use mostly collarless ball heads.  !/16 oz is my standard size.  I usually use the countdown method to find the bottom than vary the depth until I find the fish.  I consider the few jig losses that occur to be the cost of doing business and leave it at that.  Last year I added a St Croix Panfish rod (7 ft light action) to my arsenal and liked it so much I will be adding another next month.  Great rods.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/06/18 18:01 UTC »
  You guys are killing me. !/16 oz, 1/32 and 1/24 oz even. And a size 4 and 6 hook ? My 20 pound test won't even fit through the eye of a hook that small. And what do you do for a count ? A four curtsey count ? Ok continue on. Bass fisherman done.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 08/07/18 09:11 UTC »
I compensate for the light line/jigs by carrying a .45 ACP in my waistband.  It works
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online Rex

• Yearling
« Reply #7 on: 08/07/18 09:14 UTC »
  You guys are killing me. !/16 oz, 1/32 and 1/24 oz even. And a size 4 and 6 hook ? My 20 pound test won't even fit through the eye of a hook that small. And what do you do for a count ? A four curtsey count ? Ok continue on. Bass fisherman done.

God made bass so everyone could catch a fish.

Sorry. Had to do it.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/07/18 09:54 UTC »
Then he made walleye to separate the men from the boys!  Sorry had to finish it.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/07/18 13:03 UTC »
I carry a few 2 ounce bass type sinkers with the clip instead of the eye. Should I get hung up I get as close to vertical over the hang up, clip a weight on and let it drop on slightly slack line. When I feel the thump of it hitting home on the jig I raise the rod tip quickly and start reeling. Works about 90% of the time. I smelt wheel weights for a guy who makes these weights so they don't cost me a thing and they make a very affordable snag buster. Works good in wood too. 

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 08/07/18 16:46 UTC »
God made bass so everyone could catch a fish.

Sorry. Had to do it.

ooooh,....that's cold! lol

olsarge, you can increase you bag weight by using a Ruger SR22 pistol. 10 round mag.