Author Topic: Swim bait head  (Read 22321 times)

Offline Nathan77

• Yearling
Re: Swim bait head
« Reply #30 on: 10/10/17 20:32 UTC »
You guys should keep in mind that Oct. 1 was merely a target date and that lots of things come into play at a corporate level that you don't see. Take a pill and relax.

Simply guys asking for an update on a new product doesn't mean we need a pill. The mold was shown online at Icast like in July so people were excited then. The last we all heard was a month ago and some of us just wanted to know the latest updates and ask a few questions.
Thanks Do-It for answering us and we will try to be patient with you guys.

Offline CrawdadsFishingTackle

• Keeper
    • Crawdads Fishing Tackle
« Reply #31 on: 10/12/17 19:42 UTC »
Awesome!! Thanks for Everything, Do-It!!  You Rock! 8) ;D

Offline brownbasshunter

• Minnow
« Reply #32 on: 10/15/17 20:06 UTC »
the new swimbait and bladebait molds are on there way to NC.  wont get any work done this week will be chasing down every UPS truck I see.....

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #33 on: 10/16/17 22:49 UTC »
the new swimbait and bladebait molds are on there way to NC.  wont get any work done this week will be chasing down every UPS truck I see.....

Hey BBH-

It doesn't look like you got a proper welcome on your first post, so let me provide a cordial howdy at this time.  For the record, I also have great affection for smallies (they are flat out my favorite); even though I regularly switch things up for the sake of variety, if I could only pursue one species, it would unquestionably be the brown bass.

Offline brownbasshunter

• Minnow
« Reply #34 on: 10/18/17 19:24 UTC »
thanks efishnc. and you are right about the brown fish. nothing compares to standing on the front deck of your boat staring a five pound smallmouth eye to eye at 20 feet. (with a do-it mold lure hanging from her lip) 

Offline CrawdadsFishingTackle

• Keeper
    • Crawdads Fishing Tackle
« Reply #35 on: 10/19/17 21:42 UTC »
Yes Welcome BBH!!  I love this group here.  I have about every Do-it Mold they make.  And I keep buying them LOL  Everybody here is very helpful and Do-It always has the best Customer Service :)

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #36 on: 10/27/17 14:47 UTC »
Great question, smalljaw.  This particular jig will have some crossover into other species  and applications in addition to those that you mentioned. With that in mind, we built the mold to compliment a variety of hooks including those with thicker wire diameters like the Gamakatsu 604, that you mentioned.

The Gamakatsu 604 does NOT fit the new swimbait head mold, I wish you could have checked first before telling me the 604 would work, now I'm going to get stuck with a bunch of hooks. Great job on that one.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #37 on: 10/27/17 16:56 UTC »
Hey Smalljaw, I'm sorry to hear about that. The 604's we checked that day did fit our pattern and I was therefore able to give you the answer you were looking for with confidence. I apologize for any inconvenience and would be happy to have a conversation with you over the phone on Monday. Have a great weekend.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #38 on: 10/27/17 17:28 UTC »
I was able to get some 604s to fit in some cavities but the 111s fit a lot better.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #39 on: 10/27/17 18:54 UTC »
Those of you that have the mold...what do you think is the best hook? I haven't  got the mold yet but will later on this year.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #40 on: 10/27/17 19:16 UTC »
Gamakatsu 111 has been the best for me so far. The 4/0 works great in The 1/4 and 3/8 oz. The matzuo sickle hooks work fine for light wire.  I don't have all the bigger sizes so I can't say they work for all.  I was able to put a 7/0 604 in the 3/4 but most sizes of 604s have to short of an eye leg to work in this mold. 

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #41 on: 10/27/17 19:32 UTC »
Here's a couple pics. The painted one is a 3/4 with a 604 and the non painted is a 111

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #42 on: 10/28/17 05:20 UTC »
Here's a couple pics. The painted one is a 3/4 with a 604 and the non painted is a 111

The 111 is a light wire hook and bronze so that is out. The 604s don't fit in the 1/4oz or 3/8oz cavity, the hook eye leg it too short, this is a major disappointment for me. I wouldn't have a problem modifying the mold but it is made in a way that is virtually impossible to modify unless you intend to pour it without the keeper. If the keeper sits on the bottom, and I could modify it for that but to go though that much I may as well get a custom made, there isn't much of a problem. If I had known that the Aberdeen hook was pretty much the only option I would never have even looked at that mold, sorry for the post but I think the design is great but for bass or musky guys the hook options are terrible.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #43 on: 10/28/17 06:26 UTC »
I'm not a Bass or Musky guy so 1/0 maybe 2/0 is as big as I go hook size wise. Will any of the cavities in this mold accept a 1/0-2/0 size jig hook ? I mostly fish a quarter oz head but will toss a 3/8-1/2 oz head when the water/current is up. I use a lot of Matzuo sickle hooks but am slowly going to Mustad 32746NPBN hooks because I think they are relatively beefy for a light wire hook.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #44 on: 11/01/17 00:48 UTC »
Can so body put a pic with one of these and an Es swim bait.