Author Topic: Wax Wiggler woes  (Read 6126 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: Wax Wiggler woes
« Reply #15 on: 09/10/17 14:47 UTC »
Tried everything hat was suggested in this thread and more but still can't get this mold to shoot good baits consistently. Think I had 1 good shot out of 8 or 9 tries this morning. I really don't know what else to try aside from opening up the vents a little. I'm not too keen on that idea.

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 09/10/17 15:23 UTC »
Strange that you get complete tails but such large voids in the bodies. Not a fix and not sure it will make any difference but maybe leave a piece of spru in the mold blocking the last few cavities and see if with less cavities to fill you will get complete baits.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 09/10/17 18:55 UTC »
Those look to be "dimples" from cooling?
May try holding pressure on the injector a bit longer after shooting?

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 09/10/17 20:26 UTC »
I shot them at 300 to 360. I always hold the pressure for a ten count then top off the mold. I adjusted the clamp pressure and placement. I heated mold warmer than I usually do. I used fresh and remelted plastic. No matter what I tried I came up with bubbles or dimples in about a quarter of my baits. Though I really don't want to I think I'll have to try opening the vents a little bit. Other than that, I am at a total loss as to what to do next. Unless I get a rain day or two soon I won't have any time to mess with this mold for a couple weeks now. Too bad, I have a bunch of people wanting these baits.

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

Offline Bob

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 09/10/17 23:08 UTC »
Tried everything hat was suggested in this thread and more but still can't get this mold to shoot good baits consistently. Think I had 1 good shot out of 8 or 9 tries this morning. I really don't know what else to try aside from opening up the vents a little. I'm not too keen on that idea.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

You don't need to open up the vents, they are open plenty, the mold needs a vent across every section of the bait. Needs more than just one vent out the tail.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 09/11/17 08:03 UTC »
Agree with Bob on this one. This doesn't occur in the smaller of the two sizes, however the larger can baits come out like this fairly common. Using a good, small, square and a utility knife venting can be cut into the mold fairly easy. I added these vents to the three segments from the tail, the top segment never dented like this on any of mold molds. It took about five minutes to do this. Add the scratch-vent at the widest part of each segment all across the spread of the larger baits' cavities using a straight edge, then using a square make cuts between each bait from the new horizontal cut to the bottom of the mold.

Offline Steve J

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 09/11/17 10:10 UTC »
ctom
Would you take a picture, and post it, dealing with what you are talking about.
Cutting into a mold is not something I have ever done.
Need to wonder where Do-it sits on this?
« Last Edit: 09/11/17 14:25 UTC by Steve J »

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 09/11/17 12:12 UTC »
ctom
Cutting into a mold is not something I have never done.

We stand behind all of our products.  If you have a specific issue, we will take care of it.  Call 319-984-6055 and ask for Jordan or Ryan.

We spend a ton of time testing our products before we bring them to the market.  We test our molds in a rather controlled environment and cant duplicate all the situations.  We do value input for customers that are "boots on the ground" and have made modifications to our production that will help the end user.  We are revisiting this mold.  I will also argue that more vents is not always the solution.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 09/11/17 13:41 UTC »
There is a big difference between all the air not being purged from the mold as you inject (the air is purged via the vents) and having air and bubbles IN your plastic when you inject.

Do you notice big bubbles (not microbubbles) in your plastic before you inject?

If the plastic did not get completely mixed just one time...you can jack the chemistry and end up with bubbles, sticky baits etc. with the remaining plastic in the container.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 09/11/17 14:18 UTC »
So many variables and causes of issues. Following this one closely for the remedy. Good luck2XL.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 09/11/17 14:40 UTC »
ctom
Cutting into a mold is not something I have never done.

Not much will get by the eyes of the Do--It crew. As they have alluded to, they're on it so I'll let them work it out and pass on any pictures. What I do to my molds I have to live with if things go south. The same applies to those who choose to modify molds. I'm simply saying that I addressed the issue on one of the molds I have for this bait in this fashion, but I am very mechanically inclined and have an excellent shop tool collection with which to work. The other molds shoot just fine.

I've had the occasion to see first hand how Do-It arrives at a final mold and I have also seen how many times one mold can be made before a final word is given. The company is relentless to quality but even so little things can rear an ugly head down the road and if it happens I can attest that the crew is on the problem like a junebug on a duck's back and that they'll get resolution to the issue. Just hang tight.

I'm also going to say that I have a few bags of these with the dents set aside that I use personally and will tell anyone that they catch as many fish as those slick suckers without the dimples. These dinky dents are to me like the little bubbles inside my transparent baits....they act as another surface to reflect light and that attracts fish. I sell a few of these so of course I want a clean bait in the package but I don't waste time on re-melting when they work just fine with the divots.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 09/11/17 18:19 UTC »
To clear the air a little, my post wasn't meant to shed a bad light on Do-it, their products or anyone else. I can see how it could be seen that way. I have zero questions in my mind about Do-its integrity , customer service or them doing their due diligence and then some developing new molds.  I have been using Do-it molds for over 30 years and will continue using/buying new ones for as long as I am on the right side of the grass. I probably should have gone to Do-it with this issue from the get go but figured I would ask here hoping I could figure it out with a little help from you guys. I don't know if this was necessary but I just wanted to make sure there was no bad mounting/PAMING on my part. 

Andrew, Bubbles in my plastic are not the issue. A few micro bubbles every now and then ? Yes but nothing the size of what's showing up in those baits. If it were bigger bubbles then they woudl show up in my other baits which they don't. I mix/shake my plastic for 2-3 minutes before I cook my first batch of plastic. I shake it again with each batch I make during every bait making session. Heck, even when I am waiting for my baits to cool or plastic to hit 350 I give it a shake or two. Sometimes I get bubbles from pouring the raw plastic into my cup but I always wait until those bubbles dissipate before I pop it in the microwave. When I fill my injector, I tilt it to the side a little bit so the plastic runs down the side ( inside ) to avoid introducing any bubbles. I have found that pouring it strait into the injector causes bubbles.

I'll call Do-it one of these days if I can find the time. I'm working 10-14 hour days pretty much 6 days a week (save the last two Saturdays) I also spent the last 36 hours wondering how my dad would fare as he rode out Irene  near Clearwater. I was pretty happy to hear all is well with him and his home late this morning. Bottom line is I am beat.

Thanks for everyone's input. A lot of good dudes here for sure.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #27 on: 09/11/17 20:58 UTC »
You kind of got my curiosity up. Have shot lots of wax wigglers and lots of another brand of wiggler. My son likes the Wax wigglers and I like the other ones.
Just shot some white so I ran down and tried some wax wigglers.
Shot at 325 in a cold mold Essential series plastic.
Shot a couple batches all came out well.
I'm real curious what the outcome is.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #28 on: 09/11/17 21:34 UTC »
Just as an off-hand X2, look at your mold and notice that the cavities run horizontally with ten on each side of the runner. Which side is dimpling, the side that shoots up or the side shooting down? My mold with the extra vent help was dimpling on the upward side of the runner and always on the upward side of each bait. The cavities are slanted and I assumed that air got stopped in the tops of the segment sections because of the narrower waist between them and prevented fully filling. Just something to look at for the Do-It crew.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 09/12/17 11:41 UTC »
I would be curious to see if the mold behaves the same if you were shooting the bait in watermelon/ red flake.

Maybe it's just me...but I have issues with white!!! That's why I shoot "Mo's Milk" instead of white.

I wonder if all the pigment in the color white causes issues.

Just wondering!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"