Author Topic: Poison Swing Tail  (Read 639 times)

Online Ttop

• Minnow
Poison Swing Tail
« on: 09/04/17 11:21 UTC »
Does anyone know if the poison swingtail mold will accept regular jig hooks Instead of the insert? I know there is a regular poisontail mold but the swingtail has all sizes and also no weedguard hole. I'd like to pour the head with no weedguard. I have a regular poison tail mold and ive tried filling in the cavity for the weedguard with something but the top of the head isn't smooth. This is my first post but I've been on here for a while and have learned lots of things.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Poison Swing Tail
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/17 11:56 UTC »
Not without modification...which I try to avoid!

On your other mold, take one of the aluminum pins answer cut it short flush with bait. Remember you can always file off a little more to make it perfect...but you can never add it back!

As an alternative, mold as usual with the full pin in, and fill the hold after molding with some J B Weld. If you wet the tip of your finger you can make it really smooth.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/04/17 18:32 UTC »
Welcome Ttop!

I agree with Andy in using a shortened aluminum pin in your existing P.T. mold...  however, I might also suggest if you cut the pin short (accidentally or purposefully), you can take off the extra lead with a fairly clean/smooth cut using a set of gate shears.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/17 04:56 UTC »
Simply take a file to the little nub you get when pouring with no weed guard or pin. If you don't want to do that then get some high temp RTV silicone gasket maker and fill the weed guard slot with it so the silicone is higher than the mold, do that to both sides of the mold. After it sits overnight you can trim flush with a razor blade and no more weed guard slot but you still can pull out the silicone should you ever want to use a weed guard.

Online Ttop

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 09/05/17 11:00 UTC »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll file the nub off. I have some rtv so I maytry that as well.