Author Topic: Need help with ES Beaver and Ribbon worm  (Read 782 times)

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
Need help with ES Beaver and Ribbon worm
« on: 09/11/17 20:06 UTC »
I just got 3 new molds today...2 ES Beavers and  1ES Ribbon worm.  Both beaver molds are getting dimples on the bottom of all injections from both molds...tried multiple clamp positions, holding for 10 sec., multiple temps.
The ribbon tail I'm also getting dimples and can't seem to fill the tail of the bottom worm.
I'm a rookie and definitely feeling like one tonight...thanks in advance for any help.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Need help with ES Beaver and Ribbon worm
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/17 21:11 UTC »
On the ribbon worm, rub some worm oil on the tail section time improve the flow.  Hot plastic will also increase flow. I shoot it at 350 until the mold gets hot.

I get dimples on the beaver molds also. I fixed it by shooting cool (310)..but make sure you get the plastic to 350 on the initial heat.

The other thing that helps is using a "reinforcer"... like string glitter or large glitter. That can help overcome "differential shrinking"... when the hot, slow cooling body "sucks in" a weak spot (the skin) as it shrinks.

Holding pressure on the injector can help also but it is a safety hazard to push hard on an injector with hot plastic in it so I keep an empty injector ready to add pressure after I fill the mold. On some molds I hold it for a 30 count.

Most of the time the cooler plastic minimizes the problem.
« Last Edit: 09/11/17 21:18 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #2 on: 09/11/17 22:16 UTC »
Thanks Andy...I'll give those tips a try.
It's crazy how all molds behave differently.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/12/17 11:39 UTC »
Not only do all molds shoot a little different.

A mold you have shot before can behave differently based upon the temperature of the mold (ie cold in the winter....or hot after you have shot it a few times) and the temperature of the plastic.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 09/12/17 19:15 UTC »
Well still having problems...shot the beaver at 305 and 300 and still dents.  I also made multiple injections of ribbon tail at 360 and 375 using worm oil in tail...bottom worm is still not complete...top is fine...some dents in ribs but not a deal breaker.  I'm using essential plastic.  I'm sure they'll catch fish fine but just wasn't expecting these molds to be difficult.  I also use a digital temp probe that I dip in the plastic.

Offline wishn4fishn

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 09/12/17 19:55 UTC »
I just shoot my beaver slow and don't get dents

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 09/12/17 20:00 UTC »
Well still having problems...shot the beaver at 305 and 300 and still dents.  I also made multiple injections of ribbon tail at 360 and 375 using worm oil in tail...bottom worm is still not complete...top is fine...some dents in ribs but not a deal breaker.  I'm using essential plastic.  I'm sure they'll catch fish fine but just wasn't expecting these molds to be difficult.  I also use a digital temp probe that I dip in the plastic.

I think I have a mold similar to this. The worm mold. What I found is the top mold vents to the bottom mold and blows out the plastic. IIRC, there are two injection ports. One port for each cavity. What I did to solve the "issue" is inject the bottom and as I usually shoot multiple molds of the same color or colors, move on to shoot my other molds. When I shoot everything else, come back to the other cavity and shoot it. While I was shooting the other molds, the bottom cavity set and the plastic wasn't displaced. If none of this applies, forget about it..... ;D

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #7 on: 09/12/17 20:04 UTC »
I tried slow but I'll give it another shot even slower.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 09/12/17 20:50 UTC »
No go...shot at 310 super slow held for 15 sec.
Maybe ill give do-it a call.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #9 on: 09/12/17 21:51 UTC »
With the ribbon tail I've been shooting the bottom one with the longer spru first because I figured my plastic would be hotter...maybe it would help to shoot the top one first...or not.  Ill give it a shot again.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 09/13/17 06:18 UTC »
I just shoot my beaver slow and don't get dents
I think wish4fishn is correct here, shooting the molds slowly will help. Maybe get your temperature at around 330-350 also.
« Last Edit: 09/13/17 06:33 UTC by Lines »

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 09/13/17 07:12 UTC »
Just to double check...i went out and shot that mold last night and the mold did not get hot enough until the 3rd shot. For the 1st 2 shots I left the plastic in longer than normal to help heat up the mold.

It really didn't start behaving until about the 5th shot.

My 10" ribbon tail mold is really a pain! Once I get that mold hot enough I shoot a couple dozen!

Fyi...I cover the mold between shots with a heavy towel to keep them hot.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 09/13/17 11:12 UTC »
Thanks a lot for all the help!!!  I'll give it another go tonight.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #13 on: 09/13/17 11:26 UTC »
Andy...have you ever heated your molds in an oven/toaster oven/hot plate before shooting?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 09/13/17 12:06 UTC »
I think a lot of people pre-heat their molds in toaster ovens but I would caution against getting any mold HOT. The metal in the molds can warp if subjected to uneven heat like what is found in those ovens. Warm, even quite warm is probably fine. Hot? I wouldn't.