Author Topic: Need help with ES Beaver and Ribbon worm  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
Re: Need help with ES Beaver and Ribbon worm
« Reply #15 on: 09/13/17 15:32 UTC »
"I also made multiple injections of ribbon tail at 360 and 375 using worm oil in tail...bottom worm is still not complete...top is fine"...

I had the same problem and finally figured out that the vent port was insufficient on the cavity that would short-shoot.  I took a mini file and really cleaned it out and slightly enlarged it and now they both shoot perfect.  If I remember correctly, there is a 90 degree bend in the vent port channel... that's where the clog was.

This is my favorite ribbon worm ever!

Marc

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 09/13/17 16:23 UTC »
Ctom is correct. Warm in the oven...not hot.

Living in Minnesota and shooting in the garage, the challenge is to keep them hot between shots!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #17 on: 09/13/17 19:02 UTC »
Well good and not so good...put worm mold in oven at 170 for 5 min.  On the 3rd shoot I got a keeper from the bottom worm!  Put a towel around mold...shot a 4th time and not so good.  At least I got 1 good one.  I then took a dimpled beaver mold to a lake within a mile of my house to see it's action and got a large dog fish from shore.  I'm a bass fisherman but that is still cool to me.
Ill keep trying on the ribbon and maybe check the vent by the tail.
Thanks for all the advice!

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 09/13/17 20:13 UTC »
I preheat my molds on an electric griddle. Set it on low, throw my mold/molds and injectors on it then let everything warm up while I get everything else set up. If I get sidetracked and my molds will be sitting for a little bit then I toss them on the griddle to keep them warm. I bought a cheapy griddle at Walmart but you can find them at a thrift store too sometimes.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 09/13/17 21:16 UTC »
I do the same 2XL. I routed out two slots in one side of the electric skillet to let my injector's handles stick out allowing the injectors to lie flat inside. Usually keep the temperature set on warm. I only use it for my injectors during summer months. The molds stay warm enough just from shooting.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #20 on: 09/14/17 06:26 UTC »
This may be a dumb question but do you leave the nozzle on when the injector is on the griddle?  Of course it has a high heat o-ring but I wouldn't want to cause a problem there.  I have always poured my plastic into the injector.  Also does heating the injector make a big difference...to me that seems to heat up quick as it's fairly thin.  I'm certainly willing to try everyone's tips and tricks if the end results are great looking baits.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 09/14/17 06:50 UTC »
Yes, I leave the injector nozzle attached. I used to pour into my injectors. I left the nozzles off, but still warmed them in the skillet. Since I bought Rite Hete pots, I suck the plastic from the pot to fill the injector. As long as you don't overheat the injectors it shouldn't be a problem with the o-rings. 300° would make the injectors way too hot to handle safely. Nitrile gloves will suffer heat damage at that temperature and above. Between 125° & 175° is as warm as I heat molds and injectors. Just enough to take the chill off. Heating the injectors reduces the amount of plastic setting up in the tube.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Yearling
« Reply #22 on: 09/14/17 20:57 UTC »
Bought a griddle tonight...pre-heated molds and injector.  Worked great for beaver as plastic flowed out of nozzle better...I had been pouring plastic in.  This allowed me to inject much slower...baits came out much better...only a couple of small dimples.  With the worm it still didn't work.  I then used a blade and widened the vents from the middle of the worm to the tail.  Got a full worm.
I think the combo of all the advice was the solution.
Thank you to all for the help!!!