Author Topic: Where to purchase heat stabilizer offline  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Where to purchase heat stabilizer offline
« on: 09/15/17 21:31 UTC »
For a couple of months my son has been mowing yards and saving up to purchase everything he needs to pour soft plastics. Good used microwave, plastisol, colors you name it.  I invested in the molds thought it was only fair since I spend a good chunk of change on his little brothers ice hockey every year that I buy a couple of molds to get him started. We were hoping for his first pour tomorrow but it hit us both tonight we forgot one thing. Heat stabilizer!

Went to a Mom and Pop bait shop close by, Academy and Bass Pro called Cabelas. Nobody has it I have one more local Mom and Pop fishing tackle shop across town to call when they open tomorrow. If they don't have it is there a place to buy it that is not a outdoor store? Is it used in another industry? I'll buy online but I'd like to see him pour this weekend. He is very anxious and excited.

Thank you!
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Where to purchase heat stabilizer offline
« Reply #1 on: 09/15/17 21:56 UTC »
I almost never use it. You only need it after the 3rd or more repeats of light colors.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/15/17 22:00 UTC »
Good information thank you! I had it in my head it was needed or at least recommended after any reheat.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/16/17 00:48 UTC »
I'll second Andrew in that I can't even remember the last time I used mine.  Heat slow and stir and you should be just fine. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 09/16/17 05:59 UTC »
I make primarily very small baits that have a super amount of transparency in the colors and I use stabilizer if I see that I need some buffering but then I am also re-heating and re-melting these colors a bunch of times. The colors I make are also more on the light side than the darker bass bait type of colors and the stabilizer gives me some security while heating like I do. As Mike and Andy have pointed out it isn't required for injecting much of the time, however I think its a good way to help those just getting started handle the plastic until an understanding of the cooking process has been established. Stabilizer can go a long way in helping to prevent a spoiled batch due to burned plastic. It only takes a few extra seconds in a microwave or a couple extra degrees to ruin a batch, most of which comes from inexperience and the stabilizer can cushion your plastic to cover those kinds of overages. It may not be an "essential" but I'd suggest getting some until the cooking aspects get worked out.

Hand in hand with stabilizer is a good thermometer, like the digital that Do-It sells in their on-line store. Its very affordable, its easy to use and if it becomes a constant in the cooking process stabilizer can quickly be phased out and used only in certain applications where the plastic may need some help due to what's been added to it.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 09/16/17 10:50 UTC »
I appreciate the information I will get some coming but also walk away from the panic button.  This all new to me but I fully support my son's venture in this. there is for dang sure worse things a 14 year old boy could get interested in.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 09/16/17 10:53 UTC »
Amen to that.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 09/16/17 11:15 UTC »
Sure would be interested in seeing what you guys pour.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 09/16/17 12:20 UTC »
We started off with motor oil and baby bass green for colors.

I have about a dozen different colors of automotive metal flake left over from motorcycle paint jobs I have done over the years I have given him my blessing to use.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 09/16/17 13:35 UTC »
Only use flake meant for plastic baits. If the flake is actually metal or any metallic it will spark ( or more) in the microwave.

Make sure your son reads ALL of the safety tips section!!
« Last Edit: 09/16/17 13:38 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 09/16/17 14:21 UTC »
Good luck to you two. Don't be afraid to ask questions as you learn the ropes. Ditto what WW said, I too would like to see some of your sons baits once he gets that far.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 09/16/17 14:44 UTC »
It's not metal, metal flake the term has just stuck since its days in the 60's when it was metal. It's pretty much the same as any other flake or glitter just with extra UV protection due to cars being in the outdoor elements. one brand I use is thinner  than normal flake or glitter due to trying to prevent what we call standers when flake is sprayed. Other than that is the same stuff I just pay $10-$18 for a 2 ounce jar ???

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 09/16/17 15:31 UTC »
I've used house of kolors flake and it works just fine. Just super expensive like you said.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 09/17/17 10:26 UTC »
My family and I are soon to start playing with plastics. Please post up some pics of your baits.