Author Topic: Flutter jig bent or not  (Read 319 times)

Offline aulrich

• Minnow
Flutter jig bent or not
« on: 09/16/17 12:05 UTC »
Just go my hands on the flutter jig 1/4-1 oz mold , when you fish them is it common to bend them and if so should I bend them first then powder coat. or can a powder coat take some bending and I can paint them straight then experiment to see if the bend helps.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Flutter jig bent or not
« Reply #1 on: 09/16/17 12:18 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums!

I'd do the bend, then paint. I don't bend my flutter spoons at all and prefer to fish them straight. It maybe was just my jigging technique, I did try bending a couple slightly but ended up with line twist beyond belief in doing so. They have plenty of action as they come from the mold for me.

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 09/16/17 19:20 UTC »

I'm with CTOM, I don't bend my flutter jigs. They will catch alot of fish just the way they leave the mold.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/17/17 21:36 UTC »
Welcome to the forum aulrich... I have no experience with the flutter jig personally, but I do understand fluid dynamics and bending the lure should actually limit the flutter (on a standard lift and drop)... make sure to check back to find additional answers (as not everyone checks in on a regular basis) because sometimes the tiniest tweek can make the difference you are looking for.

Online Kyle

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 09/18/17 09:38 UTC »
I prefer the action I get by bending them when I am jigging them vertically, whether it be on open water or through the ice.  I pour them, bend them, and paint/seal them.

If I'm casting them and ripping them back to the boat I do not bend them.  I think ripping them, especially in current, while casting imparts the dying baitfish type fall to a bait that I'm looking for.  I really like the casting spoon lure for this particular application as well. 

Offline aulrich

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 09/18/17 09:57 UTC »
Thanks for the replies.

At least the first usage is through the ice so I will have the advantage of seeing the action in the camera. I do anticipate using them both casting and vertically. I guess the only recourse is to make 2 sets and go from there.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 09/18/17 10:35 UTC »
If I'm casting them and ripping them back to the boat I do not bend them.  I think ripping them, especially in current, while casting imparts the dying baitfish type fall to a bait that I'm looking for.  I really like the casting spoon lure for this particular application as well.

Ding, ding, ding.....got a winner!

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 09/18/17 15:46 UTC »
NOOOOOO... Don't bend them!  They are perfect like they are...
Marc