Author Topic: Field test  (Read 1135 times)

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
Field test
« on: 10/02/17 11:10 UTC »
     I have been using the 3 inch skinny carrot for quite a while now and have had some success mostly fishing it as a drop shot bait.  But I wanted more, I felt this would be a much better bait if it had more action (that sound you heard was me rolling up my sleeve).  Anyway I decided to push the envelope and add 2.5 tablespoons of softener to 4 oz of plastic and see what happened (I have used 2 tablespoons before but I considered that the max amt).  The result was a bait that had a lot of stretch to it but it did seem a little too soft in the head and I worried it would be too fragile to bother with.  At any rate, I made 3 injections: 1 pearl white, 1 pumpkin green and 1 silver (pear white with black glitter added til I achieved the silver I was looking for).  I let them cure for a week and decided this morning to take them out.  I put a pearl white one on a 1/16th oz white ball head with a sickle hook (commercially made) and tied it on using a standard loop knot.  I fished for approx 1.5 hours and landed 4 crappie between 10-12 inches.  Also had 3 others throw the hook before I could land them cuz I had to drag them through a weed line to land them.  The kicker was a 2.5 inch channel cat all caught on the same white skinny carrot.  It is still on my rod and in not too bad of shape.  The action is incredible (and even better in my opinion if you slice the tail.  Not too bad a start and I will have several more opportunities in the coming days as the weather cools.  Carry on
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: Field test
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/17 20:08 UTC »
The 4” skinny has a lot more action on a drop shot set up. The mo magic is another one that has even more movement in the water. The super fry is another great bait.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/17 21:51 UTC »
Awesome. Thanks for sharing your findings. I havnt tried much with soft plastic but I can definitely see the carrot type baits working great in a super soft formula.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 10/02/17 22:14 UTC »
Ha ha, I just now re-read my post.  Make that a 2.5 pound catfish please. 
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/03/17 06:03 UTC »
I thought you were stocking your aquarium olsarge. ;D

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/03/17 08:12 UTC »
Pictures. They'll clear this up. lol But those 2.5" catfish can really rip up tackle, I know for a fact.