Author Topic: Presto Pots  (Read 4287 times)

Offline REDGUN

• Minnow
Presto Pots
« on: 10/12/17 12:00 UTC »
After seeing these pots used on Youtube videos, I went ahead and ordered two of them (for use with a dual injector). Looks like it will be WAY faster/easier than trying to get two colors ready to use via microwave.

Anything "special" about heating plastics in these pots???

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
Re: Presto Pots
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/17 12:20 UTC »
I cook in micro first and pour into the pots. There I add salt and flake if required.  This process speeds up the cooking time.  Make sure you check you temps closely. Those pots gauges are in the ball park only. No two are the same.  If you are really serious on matching temps, get one if the pid temperature controllers.

Offline bryanmc57

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 10/13/17 08:37 UTC »
I've been wondering how well a pid would work without a stirrer.  I have one on my stirred pot and it's awesome.  I see that rcbs is starting to use them on their lead furnaces and they're not stirred.

Offline Tiger_Basser

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 10/14/17 10:27 UTC »
 I suppose that without a stir motor, a PID is somewhat useful.....Gotta be someone out there who hand stirs and has one hooked up. Obviously you would have to be concerned about that bottom portion of the plastic scorching....I'd like to hear from someone who experimented as well.
But yeah, I am kinda spoiled with my setup...  https://photos.app.goo.gl/XHni7HVNvBnuJWBF2

Offline bryanmc57

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 10/14/17 13:07 UTC »
I have a spare pot and a spare pid laying around.  I might cobble it together one day to see how it works.  On my stirred pot the thermocouple is on the outside of the pot, in contact with the bottom in the middle.  I don't see how the plastic could get hotter than the bottom of the pot so that's where I regulate the temp from.

Offline Tiger_Basser

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 10/14/17 14:08 UTC »
Normally, the thermocouple will read temps from the first inch or so  at the very tip of the probe better... It WILL pick up from  the upper portion, but you are right Bryan...Better to read from the tip of the probe since that is where the element on the pot is. I have a feeling that once you put something together on your stir motor pot, you won't be disappointed.

Offline Ricky D.

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 10/14/17 23:05 UTC »
where can I get this stirring system, I see baitjunkys is out of stock.

Offline Tiger_Basser

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 10/15/17 08:20 UTC »
Unfortunately RickyD, that isn't easy to do now that Bear's is not active and BaitJunkys is as you say out of stock.... you MIGHT find something by trolling other forums. I know of ONE complete Presto system with motors, pots and PID, but it ain't gonna be cheap PM me....(P.S it ain't MINE!! LOL!)

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/16/17 11:39 UTC »
You can always build your own system. I've done several and they work fine. The only problem is getting a good stirring paddle. If we can get Kajan from Bears site to start making them again problem solved. He told me he intends to make some at some point. IMHO his paddles are the best out there.

Offline Tiger_Basser

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 09/18/18 20:15 UTC »
For anyone interested, there is another maker for Presto Pot Stir systems... Brian Cash, over on the Facebook Soft Plastic Bait Makers Supply Group! His system is designed around the smaller 06006 5 quart model. Enclosed lid, and motor and what looks to be a pretty good paddle system. Here's a link...... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519468478092166/search/?query=brian%20Cash