Author Topic: Sharpest Fillet Knife  (Read 396 times)

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Sharpest Fillet Knife
« on: 10/12/17 17:49 UTC »
Getting tired of fillet knives that won't stay sharp. Going to buy a couple of new ones and wondering what everyone's favorite is. I've been told to go with a Dexter knife. Want something that stays sharp for the season.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Sharpest Fillet Knife
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/17 19:27 UTC »
I'd buy a good diamond stone of medium grit and sharpen what I have. I have a diamond flat stone and I run my knives over it often. It only takes a couple licks to put a very sharp edge on a decent fillet knife. I have an entire set of Chicago Cutlery knives in the garage that I use for processing deer and sausage making and those have all been professionally sharpened, then just given a quick touch up with the diamond stone before I use them much. I had my four fillet knives done by the same shop and they too just get a quick pass or two and come out ugly sharp.

Too many people discard good knives when all they really need to be super serviceable is properly sharpened and then touched up using a fine diamond stone. The edge angle is very important, especially on the thin flexible bladed fillet knives. Once the proper cutting angle has been put on a fillet knife touching up with a stone is all one should need do for several years. Even in good cutlery a proper cutting edge angle is hard to find. When I bought the Chicago set it was in a bad way so I spent the $25.00 to get it put in order and have never regretted doing it. I found a J.A. Henkels set at a garage sale for $5.00. I had that set done too and I have yet to touch the blades with anything to sharpen or clean up the edges. This knife set is MY private set and is not used in the kitchen by anyone but moi. The knives are so sharp Carole wants nothing to do with them. lol

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/17 20:06 UTC »
I have Chicago cutlery knife that was given to me for helping someone once and I wouldn’t give it up for anything holds a edge and like Tom said a touch once in a blue moon touch it up with the diamond stone.

Online Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/17 22:54 UTC »
I have a cutco and love it. I think it's about $90 but well worth the $.  I am curios about the leech lake fillet knives and am thinking about getting one of them too.  I'll 2nd Toms advise of a good diamond stone.  It makes a huge difference.  I have a diamond sharpener from v-sharp that works great and helps to get the right angle.
« Last Edit: 10/12/17 22:58 UTC by Mike J »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/12/17 22:55 UTC »
I have several different big name fillet knives (Rapala, Gerber, etc.) but the one that continually stays the sharpest is my "Big Eddy".... in fact, it is often too sharp for thinner bones and cuts right through them. https://www.crkt.com/big-eddy.html

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 10/14/17 12:39 UTC »
My preference is the Dexter Russel.
Holds an edge extremly well and won't break the bank.
I keep 2 or 3 on hand and when doing a large batch of fish and switch knives when needed then touch them up later.
Mostly use my worksharp sharpener nowdays.
Most of the time just the leather stropping belt for a fine tuning.
There is a reason every cannery in Alaska is full of Dexter Russell knives.
When I say a bunch of fish this is what I mean.
74 big Kenai river reds we had to fillet that averaged 8+ pounds.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/14/17 14:38 UTC »
Mike, I used to sell Cutco knives at the gun shop. They are very good.

Online Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/14/17 14:54 UTC »
Mike, I used to sell Cutco knives at the gun shop. They are very good.

I bought some when a friend of mines daughter was selling them and I can honestly say they are great knives and I'm glad I bought them.  At 1st I thought they were kinda pricey but they are worth the $ in my book.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/14/17 15:06 UTC »
One thing for certain, they are both a whole lot better than the Rapala Fillet Knive that is so popular!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 10/14/17 15:34 UTC »
Mostly use my worksharp sharpener nowdays.

This unit is on my Christmas list that my daughters get. A cousin has one and what he can put on the edge of a knife is scary.

Offline cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 10/15/17 21:01 UTC »
Sold cutco knives in 1991 and have never sharpened a one.  They are still as sharp as they were then.  They cut tomatoes like butter and frozen foods, simply amazing knives.  I sold many more than I ever thought I would that summer and earned my full set.  The kitchen sheers are still incredible too, cuts a penny into a cork screw still.