Author Topic: Hen and chicks mushroom  (Read 1140 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Hen and chicks mushroom
« on: 10/22/17 09:36 UTC »
I shouldn't be surprised but Carole was doing some fall gardening yesterday and found this hen and chicks mushroom growing in one off the flower beds. Normally they come off a decaying tree but this puppy is growing straight up out of the ground. Maybe years of using wood-chip mulch has gotten the soil conditions favorable to these delicious mushrooms. I'm hoping.

Not huge, this one is about a foot across and very fresh so I'll cover it with a pail at night for a couple more days to see if it grows any more. I really like the concept of eating fresh right out of the yard.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: Hen and chicks mushroom
« Reply #1 on: 10/22/17 12:54 UTC »
That looks tasty. Forage away Tom.
« Last Edit: 10/22/17 14:55 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/22/17 18:00 UTC »
Nice. They are so good to eat. Here's a nice one I found earlier this month.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/22/17 18:29 UTC »
I never knew a hens and chicks mushroom existed. My wife keeps the hens and chicks flowers around  the house in planters in memory of her grandmother. That was her grandmother’s favorite flower. How well do they sauté up? Sounds good on a burger right now.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/22/17 19:53 UTC »
I soak the whole clump in cold water for a half hour and then separate and rinse as I remove each of the petals and stems, then let them drain in a colander. When they aren't dripping water any more I bag them up and keep in the fridge for up to a week. They don't freeze too well, at least I don't care for the after being frozen. I saute mine in butter with just a little thinly slice sweet onion. They are very mild flavored and will go with anything or are delicious just by themselves as a side.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/22/17 20:34 UTC »
My wife loves mushrooms, 16 years ago when we met I wouldn’t touch one. Now I’m a pretty big fan of mushrooms. deep fried is my favorite Zaxby’s chicken has the best ones. sautéed on a burger or steak is pretty good too. Tiffany has Dominos make her a pizza that’s thin crust, white sauce, Sausage and mushrooms. It’s pretty good

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/22/17 23:03 UTC »
Panel truck. Around the general area Tom and I live I tend to find them on white oaks.  Usually one that is dying.  But they also grow on other hard woods.  These are hens of the woods and there is also a chicken of the woods that is bright orange.  The chickens are more summer time mushroom and the hens are in the fall.  I'm not real sure about your weather but use guess it's good conditions for the hens right now. 

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/28/17 21:54 UTC »
I never knew a hens and chicks mushroom existed. My wife keeps the hens and chicks flowers around  the house in planters in memory of her grandmother.

I think Tom might be quoting a local twist on the name, but the real name for the mushroom is Hen of the Woods, as MIke said (or Maitake or Sheepshead).  They are my personal favorite and they make the absolute best soup!!!  I gave up Morel hunting because I think the Hens beat them in every possible way.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/28/17 22:42 UTC »
They look a lot like the Hens and Chicks flowers Tiffany keeps. That plant is just green I see a resemblance