Author Topic: Finally  (Read 3470 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: Finally
« Reply #15 on: 10/29/17 06:05 UTC »
I have never tried flies in still  waters like lakes and ponds and I'm not so sure how effective they would be. I think having some current is what makes these flies shine but that's only a guess. They do have a nice minnow action in the water when you twitch or pop them along. I'll be tying a bunch of them this winter. 

I fish mostly purples and blues but have fished many colors. All of them are two colored flies and all of them have a few strands of crystal flash inn them. The one in the picture above is blue and white with a few strands of red crystal flash in it.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 10/29/17 07:48 UTC »
Same here 2XL, up until yesterday we always fished for trout in rivers. They worked well yesterday in the park pond, but the wind was blowing about 25 mph creating a current along the shore, and that's where they were hitting. Must have been enough water motion to give the marabou some action, other than what you could impart with the rod.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #17 on: 10/29/17 08:24 UTC »
Wadding gets the fish for me at the dam but i have done well in the boat too. You just have remember to drive slow and stay to the right side going up to the dam there two rock humps on the left.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 10/29/17 08:36 UTC »
I don't think I've ever been up to Sac in a boat and not heard someone hitting rocks. A guy I know punched a 2 inch hole in the bottom of his brand new Alumicraft up there. LOTS of aluminum plated rocks in that stretch.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 10/29/17 09:16 UTC »
LOL..aluminum plated rocks!

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 10/29/17 09:23 UTC »
That makes sense now that you say they use multiple flies.  I'm like you, I like the variety.  I consider the jig and plastic my main bait and the fly for some bonus fish.

I use the flies in a lake near me and catch yellow bass crappies and walleyes on them.  I tie a little shorter leader on the fly end and always fish them with a jig and plastic.  I just fish it as I normally would fish a jig and plastic wich is either cast with a lift drop retrieve back to the boat or drift and vertical jig.  I have noticed on the slower days i will get most fish on the fly. 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 10/29/17 10:24 UTC »
What about a floating gum drop plastic jig and minnow on the top rig? Anyone tried that?

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 10/29/17 10:54 UTC »
I would imagine it would work great. I'm just stubborn and hate using live bait lol.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 10/29/17 17:13 UTC »
I used to use floating jigheads on 3 ways using cane poles to fish for walleyes. You put a reel on a cane pole tie up a 3 way rig and drop it to the bottom. Tighten your line then put the cane pole in a rod holder and let the current do it's thing with the bait. Pretty low tech but it was a fun way to spend the day or night with a friend beside the lantern having a beer or two waiting for a bite. I imagine a guy could use a floating jighead instead of a fly but the flies are so productive and you don't have to mess with live bait.

Mike  I have only seen one or two guys tie three flies on a leader before and few more with two flies on the same leader but some of the hard core fly guys only use a pencil weight and one fly.

A bucktail jig used as a dropper works pretty darn good too. Most guys favor the Flat Head Jig for their bucktail droppers. They call them current cutters around here.