Author Topic: Ultra Minnow mold  (Read 1455 times)

Offline jmill

• Minnow
Ultra Minnow mold
« on: 01/14/18 19:29 UTC »
Can you use smaller wire diameter on this mold or are you stuck with the the one it says too use. thanks for the help

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Ultra Minnow mold
« Reply #1 on: 01/14/18 19:40 UTC »
Like in piano wire ?
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/14/18 21:10 UTC »
I use lighter wire on the smaller body sizes when I'm making them into chatter baits so I can wrap the wire easier. Sometimes I get a little flash up the wire but it's easy to clean off.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/14/18 21:53 UTC »
Hi jmill, let me welcome you with your first question... 

As Andy said, you might get some flashing if your wire is smaller than your hole, but to what degree depends on the temperature of your lead. 
I actually drill out some of my wires on various molds because I often prefer more stout lures; when I go back to the recommended wire sizes, there is a little over run, but this is easily cleaned off with a needle nose pliers or even my thumb nail. 

Offline jmill

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 01/14/18 23:06 UTC »
Thanks guys for the help

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/15/18 05:39 UTC »
I use smaller wire but you have to make sure the smaller wire stays in place. I was using high temp Teflon tape and I would cut 2 small pieces and stick them on the mold over the wire slot, that would hold the wire in place but after awhile the tape would deteriorate and I have found something better. Permatex high temp RTV gasket maker you get from the auto parts store, just fill in the slot on both sides of the mold and let it sit for a day and then cut flush with a razor blade, now you can use any size wire you want as the silicone will compress and allow the wire to sit perfectly center without slipping.

Offline jmill

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 01/15/18 08:13 UTC »
Thats a good idea to hold the wire in place ive also thought of drilling and putting a magnet in thr mold

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/15/18 08:44 UTC »
For most of my molds I use the thin magnetic tape you can buy at Walmart. When you first use it you need to push down on the mold hard so that the hook scores the soft magnet.

I also put some along the edge of my 4lb lead pot to hold hooks next to the pot to warm the eye area.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline jmill

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 01/16/18 12:27 UTC »
Another question for those who pour this if you spray your powder on do you still keep the realistic detail in the head?

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/16/18 14:31 UTC »
Another question for those who pour this if you spray your powder on do you still keep the realistic detail in the head?

Yes when you spray the layers are very thin and most detail shows through.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.