Author Topic: Weedless Ball Head Jig Mold  (Read 452 times)

Offline bldnjiginIA

• Minnow
Weedless Ball Head Jig Mold
« on: 11/14/17 02:53 UTC »
I am trying to find out more information on the weedless ball head jig mold and to find out if there are any heavier hooks that it will accept.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
Re: Weedless Ball Head Jig Mold
« Reply #1 on: 11/14/17 04:21 UTC »
I use that mold a lot and there aren't any heavier hooks it will take without modification. I use the Owner 5313 is a #1, 1/0, 2/0, and 3/0. I only use the heavier hook in the 1/8oz, 1/4, and 3/8oz cavities, I use the #1 for the 1/8oz and for the 1/4oz I use the 1/0 and 2/0, and for the 3/8oz I use a 2/0 and 3/0 in the 5313. The modification isn't hard, just place the hook you want to use in the mold and close it and either strike it with a dead blow hammer or put blocks of wood on each side and close it in a vise, that will make a perfect indentation of the hook. Then take a Dremel with a small grinding bit and remove the little bit of material around the hook eye and then take a small needle file and just widen the slot for the hook shank. It sounds harder than it is because the hook isn't so oversized that you need to make new spots for the hook eye, it just needs to be made a little wider.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/14/17 04:35 UTC »
Welcome aboard bldnjiginIA!

Smalljaw has it down pat on this and he's right in that it doesn't that much to modify a mold like this. I'd only add that if you can track down a sample hook ahead of time check the length from the 90 degree bend at the shank to the very top of the eye against the mold's cutout. Some hooks even within the style of the 570 hooks and slightly heavier wire will have a longer stem and the Dremel may be needed to rout out the top portion of the eye pocket to get the other hooks in other than using the methods he's mentioned to prevent warping the mold. Still very simple operation.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/14/17 06:18 UTC »
Welcome to custombaits.com bldnjiginIA. Southeast Ia. here. Which section are you?

Offline bldnjiginIA

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 11/15/17 02:54 UTC »
Ankeny area. Glad to be a part of it. Looking forward to getting more in depth in the process. Really excited. Thanks for the responses.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/18/17 20:58 UTC »
A fellow jig builder - good to have you aboard!