Author Topic: Going to a fly tying class this week what to expect  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
The local Bass Pro offers free fly tying classes on Wednesday evenings and since I have taken an interest in lure making I have not been able to make a class because Wednesday evenings I’m normally running all over the metro chasing down kids or at church doing some sort of activity. Nothing going on this Wednesday since it’s Thanksgiving eve. I called BPS earlier today to see if they were still having the class this Wednesday and they are on a normal schedule so me and the two teenage boys are going to go tie a fly. I’m excited but don’t know if it is going to be as complicated as I have it in my mind.

I’m not very coordinated so I’m hoping working with something that small and intricate isn’t too much of a challenge. Is this a valid concern or not also what other things should I expect? I’m looking forward letting my imagination run free on colors. I can also tie flys inside the house during these months of getting dark at 5:30.  Unfortunately this house we are in for a couple of years  as a stop over has no garage and we have been down the melting plastisol in house road. So I’m confined to the back patio at Mother Natures mercy for soft plastics. We will see if I like fly tying or not if so It’s a another weapon in my bag to throw at the blue gills. I sure don’t know if I’m coordinated enough to fly fish that looks a little tricky.

« Last Edit: 11/19/17 15:08 UTC by Paneltruck.lures »
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Going to a fly tying class this week what to expect
« Reply #1 on: 11/19/17 15:59 UTC »
I think you will have fun.  I really like tying all sorts of stuff. Bucktail jigs, crappie jigs dry flies and tungsten ice flies.  It's a lot of fun and so versatile.  You can even make up your own patterns.  I've only tied down to a size 18 dry fly hook and it is small but I don't think you will have a problem with that part.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 11/19/17 16:08 UTC »
It’s a lot of fun getting a fish to bite on something you tied.
« Last Edit: 11/19/17 23:13 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/19/17 16:22 UTC »
Coordination will not be an issue.  I am living proof of that.  Enjoy
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/19/17 19:06 UTC »
Good deal I’m excited I love shooting the plastics that has been a lot of fun and will continue to do it already planning on adding to our selection of molds but this might give me something to do inside the house when the weather is bad or it get dark early during the work week.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/19/17 21:26 UTC »
You'll really like fly tying. It can be as addicting as plastics, and inline spinners, and pouring jig heads, and rod building, etc., etc., etc. It gives you something else to find when you're out shopping with your wife. I don't mind looking around some departments in stores because lots of items can be utilized in my many addictions. :) Crafts dept., kitchen utensils, sewing dept.... they all look different to me now.
Have a good time at your class.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/19/17 22:37 UTC »
Indeed the plastics have become addictive and I swore I wouldn’t do jig heads because I didn’t want to mess with the lead well guess who has been checking into it. I’m nowhere near ready to pull the trigger on it but I’m not ruling it out in a year or two. You wouldn’t have thought by now I would have learned not to say never.

fortunately my wife doesn’t like to shop. Make that hates to shop. I think she has been to the mall 3 times since we moved back to Oklahoma 5 years ago. Twice because my mom drug her there and once because I took her with when I needed to buy a new Red Sox hat.

I’m looking forward to the class maybe my tiny middle school girl hands will be good for something for once.

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/19/17 22:59 UTC »
I did the opposite. Lead first because I went through a lot of it. Looking at the numbers and what it costs to do lead, it made cents. My son wanted to do plastics. I wanted to stay lead, looking at numbers, but was willing to explore other mediums with him. It’s been good, lots of Benjamin’s later.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/22/17 18:56 UTC »
Well long story short nobody showed up to teach class tonight even after I was told twice earlier in the week it would happen even with the holiday. My boys were pretty disappointed and upset. I was just upset because I fought the traffic of the NBA game down the street to get there on time. Oh well we will try again or I’ll see what I can learn online but I think something like that I need hands on training. OR maybe just MAYBE there is a online fishing lure forum where other members can teach me things.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/22/17 20:40 UTC »
I've learned a bunch about tying flies from YouTube videos. There are some real goid ones out there. I can't understand them but the eastern European guys can ty some darn goid flies. You can learn from watching even if you can't understand.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/22/17 22:20 UTC »
You tube is a great source of info.  Many fishing forums have fly fishing sections that are worth checking out.  flyanglersonline.com has an extensive library on fly tying tutorials well worth checking out.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/23/17 13:08 UTC »
You tube is a great source of info.  Many fishing forums have fly fishing sections that are worth checking out.  flyanglersonline.com has an extensive library on fly tying tutorials well worth checking out.

I checked it out doesn’t look too like too bad a place. I am going to watch some YouTube videos but definitely want some hands on training before I buy a vice and supplies.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/23/17 13:34 UTC »
Remember that all the vise does is hold the hook. A cheap one is just as good as a expensive one!

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/23/17 13:57 UTC »
That’s what the guy at the Bass Pro fly shop told me he also said don’t buy our $100 magnifying glass go get a $10 at Harbor Freight it does the same job. I appreciated the honesty BPS has a starter kit that’s $99 that I might get

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 11/23/17 15:50 UTC »
     I too started with a cheap vise and found it more than adequate (I much prefer my rotational vises that I usenow tho).  As far as magnifiers, I used a cheap $20 job (I think) from office depot for years with no problem.  My daughter bought me an expensive Ott light for a christmas present one year and I quickly wished I had my ol cheapy back.  Also, if you are anything like most of us do not overlook the closed cell foam packs in the craft section at wal mart (and other big box stores).  50 sheets for five bucks.  You can literally make thousands of bass and bluegill bug/hopper patterns out of them.