Author Topic: Painting spots on Jigs  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Chi

• Minnow
Painting spots on Jigs
« on: 11/20/17 00:26 UTC »
Hey guys first post here. Took up jig making as a hobby to make jigs for personal and family use.

I've got a question about putting spots or dots on powder coated jigs. Would it be best to go with vinyl or water based paint? My plan is to put spots on an already powder coated and cured jig. Once the spots are dry I would dip it in a clear seal coat to get a smooth even finish. I would be using CS seal coat. Is it necessary to cure the seal coat?

Thanks for the help guys.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Painting spots on Jigs
« Reply #1 on: 11/20/17 05:47 UTC »
Welcome aboard Chi!

There is no need to cure Seal Coat products, its a single component epoxy and cures with time. You can use a hair dryer to hasten the dry time  and set the sealer but take care not to get the Seal Coat super hot using one.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/20/17 05:55 UTC »
What you can do is use the CSI Quick Coat lure markers, they use paint not ink like a sharpie. When I use them to make dots or small marks on a lure I do it this way, I power coat my jig, then make the marks I want and cure in my toaster oven at 350 for 15 minutes. The nice thing about those Quick coat markers is the paint takes the heat so when I use my powder painted jig with the marks on them, it bakes right in to the powder finish and so the paint will chip before the dots or marks you make will come off. If the jigs you have are already cured then simply make your marks and coat with Devcon 2-Ton epoxy, the 30 minute and not the 5, the fast cure epoxy isn't too clear when it cures.

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/20/17 11:18 UTC »
Another technique to consider would be to use powder water to turn your powder into a useable form to spot your jigs with. I use it for eyes on large runs of jigs. I’ll try to post a couple of examples. I tried to post a pic to show but says the file is too large. Sorry.
« Last Edit: 11/20/17 11:21 UTC by Apdriver »

Offline Chi

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 11/20/17 12:02 UTC »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice everyone! I actually like the idea of using markers. Smalljaw, if I do it your way, would I have issues with the colors bleeding into each other?

Apdriver, that also sounds like a good idea. I Just looked up the price though.. almost $50 for 32oz!
« Last Edit: 11/20/17 12:07 UTC by Chi »

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/20/17 20:16 UTC »
Welcome nothing more to add

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/21/17 03:06 UTC »
Welcome Chi !

Apdriver, I would like to hear a little more about the powder water process if you're game ?

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/21/17 06:06 UTC »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice everyone! I actually like the idea of using markers. Smalljaw, if I do it your way, would I have issues with the colors bleeding into each other?

Apdriver, that also sounds like a good idea. I Just looked up the price though.. almost $50 for 32oz!

I never had an issue with the colors bleeding.  The worst color bleed problem I ever had was with a color combo called "Table Rock Shad", I powder paint it 3 different colors, white on the belly, chartreuse body and purple back with a black dot on the side of the body. When I paint the colors all together the purple turns brown when I cure it, so the fix was to paint the belly and body and use the marker for the dot and then cure for 10 minutes at 350 and let cool for 10 minutes, then paint the purple back and cure for 15 minutes at 350. I explained that because that is the one major color I have with colors turning but as far as bleeding from the markers, no problem and by having it bake as I cure the powder finish it makes it that you can't wash it off. I found this out by accident, I was in a hurry and was doing a green pumpkin/chartreuse pepper pattern on a swim jig and so I finished painting the jig and started doing to small pepper markings with the marker and after I did 3 I realized I didn't cure the heads, but having those done already I figured I'd just put them in the oven like that and see how they come out and after the cure they were perfect and the paint seemed to blend in seamlessly and even with a wet rag and some hard scrubbing I could not get the paint marker to come off.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/21/17 06:15 UTC »
Welcome Chi!

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 11/21/17 20:30 UTC »

Man, 32 oz. would last a guy a couple of lifetimes. Just to paint some eyes, you only need a few drops to mix with your powder to make a runny paste. I would buy the smallest quantity I could.
Welcome Chi !

Apdriver, I would like to hear a little more about the powder water process if you're game ?

I will gladly share what I know. If you have an email address, I could probably send a pic or two just to see if it’s something you might want to pursue. The pics are too large to post here. I don’t understand why because I’m pretty sure I took them with my iPhone. Pm me your email if you would like to see them.

Online Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 11/21/17 20:59 UTC »

Online Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 11/21/17 21:04 UTC »

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/23/17 08:47 UTC »
What kinds of dots are you making?  I have used a sharpie several time for just personal use and it does fairly well and is a cheap alternative to powder paints that give that look.