Author Topic: 1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!  (Read 7030 times)

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!
« on: 11/29/17 20:47 UTC »
Hi folks, wondering if you'd be able to help me solve this issue... When I shoot the Round Ball  Jig Mold, it shoots all the way through almost NEVER. I'd be lucky to get them with collars but there will still be part of the hook exposed.

I preheat the mold up top when the pot is heating, I also pour lead into the mold without hooks 2x to make sure the mold is HOT! I run the lead pot @ Max as well.

Any suggestions? Take a look at this image.

« Last Edit: 11/29/17 20:55 UTC by CombatJigs »

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
Re: 1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!
« Reply #1 on: 11/29/17 21:27 UTC »
You need to pre warm your hooks.
Hot lead meets cold hook and it solidifies instantly.
Also drop out sprayed in the mold will help some with that also.
Those two things will fix your problem.
Also no need to run your pot at max.
Once it's melted turn itvdown a bit.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 11/29/17 22:35 UTC »
You need to pre warm your hooks.
Hot lead meets cold hook and it solidifies instantly.
Also drop out sprayed in the mold will help some with that also.
Those two things will fix your problem.
Also no need to run your pot at max.
Once it's melted turn itvdown a bit.

Thank you. What's the best way to preheat the hooks? That makes sense... What do you mean 'drop out spray'

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/30/17 03:58 UTC »
Thank you. What's the best way to preheat the hooks? That makes sense... What do you mean 'drop out spray'

I use a 300-500 watt halogen light shining close to them. Adjust the distance and get them as hot as you can still handle them with bare hands.  Works great.

Not LED lights....

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/30/17 04:22 UTC »
You have a problem besides temperature. Lay the hook in the mold and see where it is positioned in the collar area. My guess is you are a little too big on hook size and that the front of the hook is either touching the area with the barb or it is super close. I say this because normally when that happens the collar itself will stop right where the hook is touching or close, but it looks as if you are getting the full length without the barb front so you are probably hot enough. Just to see if that could be the problem drop down 1 size in hook and pour again and if you get a complete pour then you know what the issue is.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/30/17 06:40 UTC »
Are you using pure soft lead ? I used to have issues like that when I first started pouring jigs. I was using wheel weights or scrap lead that must have had some alloys added to it.

Agree with smalljaw. Try the next size smaller hook and see what happens.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/30/17 07:04 UTC »
  I agree with 2XL. You're using hard lead. Anytime you pour small or fine detail molds you need to use soft lead. If it's soft you should be able to scratch it with your thumb nail.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 11/30/17 07:56 UTC »
Drop out is a mood release product sold by Frankford Arsenal.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Bullet-Release-Agent/dp/B00EVNSFKY&ved=0ahUKEwjj8LvGuObXAhXosFQKHQK3DtIQFghUMAs&usg=AOvVaw1CDdvIhCtLZvq8GNWpfgWV
Preheat your hooks as was said with a light bulb or use a candle warmer.
Sometimes I put them in small pot and heat briefly with my plumbers torch.
Repeat as needed during casting session.
I do not use pure lead always random scrap and the only time this happens to me is when my hooks are cold.

« Last Edit: 11/30/17 08:00 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/30/17 09:07 UTC »
I use drop out to help with pouring bigger hooks than it's designed for and agree with the others it's tough to get a complete pour on the small stuff without pure lead.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/30/17 11:35 UTC »
I've never used Drop out. I just use a hammer and chisel. A few good whacks and those jigs pop right out !  JK LOL

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
« Reply #10 on: 11/30/17 11:47 UTC »
Are you using pure soft lead ? I used to have issues like that when I first started pouring jigs. I was using wheel weights or scrap lead that must have had some alloys added to it.

Agree with smalljaw. Try the next size smaller hook and see what happens.

For the 1/32 oz mold i'm using the size 6 hooks as recommended. Any smaller is just too small. The hooks i'm using are the Matzuo 9014 Sicke hooks if that helps at all. I'll try preheating the hooks. That's definitely something I HAVENT been done. Thanks for all the tips guys, awesome!

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/30/17 12:09 UTC »
Funny you mentioned the 1/32 oz head. I just poured a handful of the 1/32 oz collarless heads using size 6 Matzuos about an hour ago. That's kind of comparing apples to oranges as far as jig style goes but I had zero issues with the cavities filling out.

What kind of lead are you using ? 

I use pure soft lead and set my lead pot on 7 for all the jigs and sinkers I pour. Another thought here. Maybe you need to let your lead get hotter ? Maybe let your pot sit for 10-15 minutes once the lead melts. That way you can be sure your lead has reached the max temp you want to work with. I know my jigs sometimes don't fill out all the way when I get in a hurry and start pouring before my lead gets to the temp I want.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/30/17 13:20 UTC »
Another thought is sometimes your spout gets plugged just a little and you don't get a good stream of lead pouring out. Be sure the spout is clean and the lead comes out relatively quick.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/30/17 13:45 UTC »
Stick the spout right into the mold opening too. I don't know why but sometimes that does the trick for me if I run into trouble pouring little jigs.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #14 on: 11/30/17 18:40 UTC »
Before You spend a bit of money on other heating equipment, You might consider a Round Head Mold with a WB400 Wire Keeper instead of a Lead Collar.

The wire keeper takes Collar issues out of the equation.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸