Author Topic: 1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: 1/32 Round Ball Barb Miss Fire!
« Reply #15 on: 12/01/17 06:21 UTC »
Hey Combatjigs. You've stated that you preheated the mold while melting your lead. Just add the hooks, close the mold, and preheat the two at the same time before pouring. Good luck!

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 12/01/17 19:03 UTC »

I heat up my hooks with an old crock pot my wife used to have,  She broke the dish part of it, so I use the heater to heat up hooks. It works like a charm. Most everyone has an older one they no longer use laying around.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 12/01/17 19:20 UTC »
I cast just about all 1/32 heads, most without collars and others like the ones you show, which like a hot mold and I use pure lead with the pot on high. The hooks I may heat up some if they deal me fits. I've gone entirely to collar-less heads for personal use and will start with the wired heads at 1/24 ounce.The smaller two heads with the wires [1/32 and 1/24] like harder lead, like bullet lead, to help hold the wires secure. I've never needed something like drop out as an assist for getting the jigs to cast.

When I am casting very small heads, like those in the 1/64 or 1/80 ounce range, I haven't got anything running that creates a breeze in the immediate bench area as the molds can balk if they are cooled unevenly from said breeze. Really the only jigs I see a problem with are those casting a collar and barb/ball and I try hard to not have to make them.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
« Reply #18 on: 12/09/17 00:25 UTC »
Alright guys, i'm about ready to strangle someone or something. Mold blistering hot, took the heat gun straight to the hooks prior to shooting... out of 5 injects for a 8 cavity 1/32 mold.... 4 jigs came out. The lead i'm using is the ingots from Bass Pro Shops. I switch over to my 1/64 and 1/16 mold I have no issues.

« Last Edit: 12/09/17 00:30 UTC by CombatJigs »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 12/09/17 06:38 UTC »
It appears you have something in the lead (yellow coloring), but it also looks like the lead is not hot enough. Also how are you injecting the lead? (Bottom pour pot or with a ladle? I have found that sometimes the bottom pour pot doesn't pour fast enough, going to a ladle and carefully filling each cavity (one at a time, then going back with the ladle for more lead to fill the next cavity) works better.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 12/09/17 07:07 UTC »
Bummer ! I totally understand your frustration CJ. I think all of us have run into molds that give us fits at one time or another.

Are you using a LEE lead pot ( bottom pour )  to cast your lead ?  If so, try sticking the spout of the lead pot right into the cavity opening on the mold the next time you pour this mold. I don't know why but sometimes that helps. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 12/09/17 07:47 UTC »
What size hook is that and why do you have the hook eyes all stuffed way up at the top of the eye cavity? I have that mold, hardly ever use it now, but I have that mold and have had no problems at. If you look at how the hooks are sitting in the mold though, eyes way high in the pocket and the wire laying right along the top edge of the collar /barb section of the cavity you are never going to get decent pours. If you're casting a size an undersized hook you best use a Dremel tool and take out about half of the metal between the head cavity and the hook eye cavity and then set the hooks in the mold sol that the wires run right down the center  stem portion of the cavity. The way the hooks appear in the partial castings is that the eyes are set way to the top of the eye pocket and need to be set tight to the bottom edge of the eye pocket.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
« Reply #22 on: 12/09/17 16:11 UTC »
I am using the bottom pour lee. I stick a pin up there and clean it every inject as some lead sticks up there. Again, i'm using size 6 hooks, the recommended size and I use the pot on MAX, although someone previously said there's no need for that... I have two molds the 1/64-1/32 (4 of each cav) and the 8 cav 1/32. I shoot the 1/64 just fine, can't explain that one...

I'm not intentionally putting the hooks that high, that's how they lay. The cavities don't fit the hook perfectly, none of my molds do.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 12/09/17 16:35 UTC »
Have you put the spout of the pot directly in each gate cavity?  I don’t smoke, heat my molds or hardware and have no problems and pour tiny heads with all types of hardware within the head and never have any problems.
« Last Edit: 12/09/17 16:38 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #24 on: 12/09/17 18:35 UTC »
I’m gonna say it’s Your hooks re positioning and causing a pinch point along the hook shaft and the wall of the mold (above the barb). If you look at all your cast in the one picture the hooks are “crooked”. In the first cavity you can see the pinch point it creates. I think it’d be asking a lot of the lead to “bounce” around that much and wrap around to complete the cavity.
« Last Edit: 12/09/17 18:37 UTC by Thembonez »

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
« Reply #25 on: 12/09/17 19:04 UTC »
Yes, sorry. In that picture you can see at the sprue where I held it above and put the nozzle into the mold. I'm going to buy some more lead from a different store online, even though i've got the DO IT lead from Bass pro, you know... that expensive stuff lol. I will definitely retry position. Thanks for bearing with me guys, through this frustrating situation!

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
« Reply #26 on: 12/10/17 06:19 UTC »
I too am have the same issue with the same mold. I also am using the sickle hooks. Is there someone here that is using this mold and sickle hooks that is not having problems? I’m wondering if it is hook choice? I have never tried regular 570/575 in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 12/10/17 07:40 UTC »
I have both Matzuo and Eagle Claw's 500BP "little nasty" sickle hooks. Matzuo went thru a short period where their quality control took a sabbatical and the hooks from that time were junk. Unfortunately I had ordered a pile of them. When the issue got resolved the company I ordered from initially stood behind them and I all of the orders sending bad hooks were replaced completely. No all of the Matzuos were bad, only around 40% so in the end I ended up with a lot of hooks of the Matzuo ilk, plus about the same time Eagle Claw came out with the 500 series sickle hooks that are equal in cost as the Matzuos but are about 1000 times nicer hooks to work with as they are very consistent hook to hook. Today it depends on the order...bait shops wanting bulk heads get Matzuos. Individuals ordering on a more custom basis get the Nastys.

In my original reply I mentioned a couple other hook choices in non- sickle varieties but forgot to mention the Mustad 32746BLN. This is a replacement hook for the 570 series and are a very consistent hook throughout all of the size ranges, but the leg length from the bend to the bottom of the eye is slightly shorter than the 570 series hooks. The Mustad is a fairly stiff wire for an Aberdeen hook too.

The molds are quite constant and are cast with the recommended hook choices right into the body of the mold. The eye pocket for each cavity allows a little wiggle room if a person wants to use other hooks and the molds do allow enough room as a rule to use a hook size one larger in either direction of the suggested size, but the smaller the head size WITH the collar, the less options you're going to have. As mentioned by Thembonz, the way the hooks are laid in the mold in the picture shows clearly a pinch at the head/collar merger and if the hooks are laid in the mold with the hook eye snugged down to the bottom of the eye pocket you'll probably start seeing more complete fills. And while I know you've been told you don't need high heat, I cast all of my small head at the highest level using both bottom pour and ladle filling. I don't treat the lead, I don't use any lead that isn't 100% pure, I don't smoke the  molds, but I will keep hooks warm if I am casting in a cold garage and on any mold that has the pre-heat chamber on the bottom side I open the mold and set it on a burner of the stove on low to super-pre-heat that sucker....especially is the head size is small and has a collar. I'm living on the edge of the tundra though and this is how I've done my casting, all year long, since I started doing it around 1967. I cast a very few jigs with collars on them anymore and basically all of my small heads are collarless. Small heads like the Bat Jig and Herring head I cut the collars off anyway. But one thing that stood in the way of consistent pours has either related to the hooks, or how they were laid in the mold or when I was using hooks sized outside of the recommended size and the smaller the head size the more critical fit becomes.

Slow down a little and make sure the hooks are in their slots properly before closing the mold and then don't bang it around getting it to the furnace for pouring. Pay attention to how things look in the mold with the hooks before you close it. It doesn't take long to develop a practiced eye for seeing little things out of place.

Here's a little observation I've made over the long haul: Bronzed hooks are more likely to miscast. The black nickel and black platinum hooks have a slick finish and cast the best. Bronzed hooks have the softest temper in the Eagle Claw hooks while the gold plated and colored hooks in the same are the most brittle. Hooks sold as "Aberdeen" hooks can vary in wire size greatly and wire size can affect hot hooks will lay in the mold and how well lead flows around the hooks.

I hope this helps. You're casting little heads and little "things" become big players when doing the small stuff.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #28 on: 12/10/17 11:11 UTC »
I just fired up the pot and poured some of these just to see how they turned out and had no problem at all.  I didn't heat the hooks just put the mold on top of the pot while it was warming. I use drop out and soft lead.  This is the 1st 4 I poured with #6 matzuo hooks.  Probably doesn't help you much other than to know it is posible.

Offline CombatJigs

• Keeper
« Reply #29 on: 12/10/17 11:36 UTC »
I just fired up the pot and poured some of these just to see how they turned out and had no problem at all.  I didn't heat the hooks just put the mold on top of the pot while it was warming. I use drop out and soft lead.  This is the 1st 4 I poured with #6 matzuo hooks.  Probably doesn't help you much other than to know it is posible.

Those look great Mike! My next plan of action is getting new lead and i'll get some drop out. What pot are you using?