Author Topic: Drop shot sinker  (Read 835 times)

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
Drop shot sinker
« on: 12/14/17 08:23 UTC »
Hi guys
I got to ask you guru's which sinker you find the most snag resistant, bell or pencil.
The bottom in question concist of what we call blast rock.
You know the stuff they use to fill out with when constructing roads, millions of sharp v's where a sinker/jig head can get stuck.
I did try with ball head jigs there this summer but they got hung up all the time, same whith the egg sinker (rigged as drop shot).
Magne

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Drop shot sinker
« Reply #1 on: 12/14/17 09:57 UTC »
When I'm fishing rip rap and concrete chunks along the bank I fish pinch on split shot. No matter what you use they are going to get stuck!  I use the VMC swivel drop shot hook and use 4lb test on the weight dropper so it is easy to break. A couple overhand knots at the end of the leader help keep them on. Or, after you pinch them on, secure them with a overhand knot. (Looks ugly...but it works the best!)

Look for split shot in bulk bags to get the best price per shot.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/16/17 12:48 UTC »
Although I generally favor the bell (because of its stability), I will say that the pencil is definitely more snag resistant.  However, given the extreme rock bottom you mention, maybe you might want to try using the bottom bouncer... heck, you could even put a wire in the sprue of your drop shot weight to make a pseudo bottom bouncer (which might help you determine if you want to purchase the actual bottom bouncer).

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
« Reply #3 on: 12/16/17 14:55 UTC »
Efish, i think i gonna try that.
Never used something like that before but that should work.
It is mostly the last 10-15 meters that is the worst.
Thanks.