Author Topic: Clearing painted hard plastics  (Read 1503 times)

Online Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Clearing painted hard plastics
« on: 12/17/17 19:57 UTC »
What is everyone using for clearing and finishing hard baits? I have been using Devcon 2 part epoxy wich is what they were I saw being used on a YouTube video I watched. I have had two results from two different tubes of it. The first was it was too deep and glossy had an almost unnatural look. Maybe that is ok and I just need to except the fact mine looked nicer than what’s on the store shelf.  :D
The other is it was very stringy and hard to spread evenly and we got gaps in it. I wonder if the second was from the package being old. I bought it at a Harbor Freight type store next door to where I work. It could have been on their shelf for years. I’m wondering if aerosol clear would be ok so long as I let it sit for a few weeks long enough for all the solvents to completely flash out of the clear coat and not harm the water.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Clearing painted hard plastics
« Reply #1 on: 12/17/17 20:21 UTC »
I moved away from the D2T because I wanted a longer working time. This is what I use now and like it a lot.
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html
It’s self leveling and I apply it with a brush but some guys dip their baits in it. It is an MCU and I use precautions when storing it to gain a long shelf life.
« Last Edit: 12/17/17 20:25 UTC by Apdriver »

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/17/17 21:24 UTC »
I use CS Coatings (a sister company of Do-it). There are a number of discussion threads on it.

http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=8219.0

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/17/17 21:42 UTC »
I should have searched a bit harder I reckon.

I think the locally owned tackle shop up on the north side sells that with the couple of powder paints they keep but I never knew how it worked. I may have to run up there check but I think I have seen it.
Thanks for the info Andy
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/18/17 14:38 UTC »
I use both devcon and KBS.  The KBS is much thinner so I put it on baits like jerk baits, shad style baits, etc but use the devcon for anything I know is going to be thrown into the thick stuff like my square bills, deep divers. 

Offline bassbuster

• Keeper
  • hell yea
« Reply #5 on: 02/10/18 10:25 UTC »
devcon works best thinned way down. I can spray it out of a brush   and cleans up great.....not many doing that 

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/18 11:29 UTC »
Glisten PC. Best finish I’ve ever used, crystal clear and bullet proof. Nasty stuff though, use precautions. Can be sprayed or like I do is dip. I am however gonna experiment with CS seal coat as a means to seal my jig eyes.
« Last Edit: 02/10/18 12:13 UTC by Thembonez »

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/10/18 15:58 UTC »
Like Andrew I use Seal coat, most of the guys I know who sell baits are now using KBS

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/10/18 16:40 UTC »
I bought a can of KBS ...very expensive...used it once (nice results) but there was enough air is a sealed can that i lost the rest of the can. WAY to much of a Pain....

CLEAR Devcon 2 Ton, NOT 5 minute...works well but I had issues with me getting 100% coverage (my fault) and it sets in about 10 minutes so you have to work fast.

Just did 25 cranks all with Seal Coat. Most were dried on the rotating lure dryer I got for Christmas, but the big baits were "dip and drip" which works just fine.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/10/18 17:19 UTC »
devcon works best thinned way down. I can spray it out of a brush   and cleans up great.....not many doing that

I know of one other person that did that, ruined his Iwata Eclipse, It didn't thin out so well and left a lot of bubbles, are you sure it is Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy?  As for the 2 different results the OP had, check the label, Devcon makes 2 ton epoxy, and they have one called 5 minute and that will cause problems as it will get stringy. Devcon 2 Ton has a shelf life of 2 years but if it gets too hot the clear side with get cloudy and have a super thick consistency out of the syringe, both the resin and hardener should be clear when it comes out and both will have the same consistency.

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/11/18 05:21 UTC »
I like BSI epoxy but any epoxy you use needs to be 20-30 min. KBS is nice but you need to seal it with an oxygen blocker when finished using it or like Andy said it will get hard

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/11/18 07:34 UTC »
KBS or any other moisture cure urethane needs to be handled correctly for long shelf life. That said, it’s not that hard. I have had a quart of KBS on my workstation for a couple years using the “tap the can” method of dispensing and storing and it’s still good. Thin with xylene to keep it from gassing around your eyes where it tends to go on thickest and bubble just a touch.

Online alwrenn

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 02/11/18 14:44 UTC »
KBS or any other moisture cure urethane needs to be handled correctly for long shelf life. That said, it’s not that hard. I have had a quart of KBS on my workstation for a couple years using the “tap the can” method of dispensing and storing and it’s still good. Thin with xylene to keep it from gassing around your eyes where it tends to go on thickest and bubble just a touch.

Apdriver....can you explain the "tap the can method"?  Thanks.

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #13 on: 02/11/18 16:12 UTC »
I believe “tap the can” refers to inserting a screw towards the bottom of the can, and removing it to let the product flow. Then replacing it to keep air from being introduced from the top down, as would be done by removing the lid.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/11/18 16:17 UTC »
Andy, Gary, Tom it would be great to see the bait’s you been painting this winter.
« Last Edit: 02/11/18 17:31 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »