Author Topic: Ice Eyes  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Kyle

• Administrator
  • Kicker
Ice Eyes
« on: 12/18/17 09:43 UTC »
Made a quick trip up to Mille Lacs on Saturday for some much needed time on the ice.  We spent the better part of an hour and a half marking fish and playing with different baits but were unable to get any takers.  I then switched over to an ultra minnow jig with a double hooked minnow and I never set it down the rest of the day.  My first play with a fish after making the switch produced a quick thump.  The fish had a pretty negative mood all day and getting a bite required pounding the jig on the bottom and lifting it up and holding it still or cat and mousing  them up and down the water column until you could get a reaction strike.  Bites were tough to get but when they did hit, they’d hit it with a vengeance.  We got away from the crowds for the afternoon bite and sat up on some shoreline structure we’d located last spring.  The fish made their move up onto the structure at around 4 and we iced several nice fish in the 19-22” range.  My last fish of the evening was this 26” male off the edge of the structure in 17’ of water.  I’d made these jigs for a trip I took last March to Lake Winnipeg.  Super Glow White got most of the bites.  Interestingly enough, I had Flutter Spoons poured up in the same color combinations that they wanted nothing to do with.  The natural horizontal presentation was King for us.  I might also add, for anyone heading out.  Be sure to spud your way out making sure you are on safe ice on your way in and out to your spots.  While most of the ice we fished was in the 6-9" range.  We came across some patches in un-drilled areas that had as little as 2" that we had to find our way around.  Be safe out there.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Ice Eyes
« Reply #1 on: 12/18/17 10:17 UTC »
That eye looks like a old fish, over his prime and headed down hill.

Online Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/18/17 11:13 UTC »
Nice report Kyle.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 12/18/17 11:21 UTC »
Great lookin jigs and fish.  Nice!
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/18/17 11:48 UTC »
NICE !

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 12/18/17 16:40 UTC »
Well done Kyle!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/19/17 10:07 UTC »
Really like the jigs and nice fish.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/19/17 14:19 UTC »
Good work Kyle.

I notice that you have a snap on the line, not a swivel, just the snap. For convenience of for increased action or both?

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/19/17 14:21 UTC »
Great fish I’d love to catch something like that. The jigs are nice too. I want to go to Lake Winnipeg so bad heck I just want to go to Winnipeg and see town and some hockey. Fishing that lake would be a bonus. How was the fishing up there?
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Kyle

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 12/19/17 16:04 UTC »
Good work Kyle.

I notice that you have a snap on the line, not a swivel, just the snap. For convenience of for increased action or both?

Good eye Tom, I like to use a snap on the ultra minnow jigs when I vertical jig them. It seems to give them a bucking action when jigged when paired with a fluke or minnow combo that you can't achieve while tied direct.  The other option is a loop knot which I have used in the past as well.  But the true answer would be both, as it sure makes it easier to switch things up when you want to change something up quickly.  But this is one of the few times I use a snap to a jig.  I tie direct with everything else.  I like the hook eye position on the head of the Ultra Minnow jigs.  Gives a great horizontal presentation.  Also should note, that 2' leader was tied up to a swivel above it and tied to 6lbs Nanofil. 

Great fish I’d love to catch something like that. The jigs are nice too. I want to go to Lake Winnipeg so bad heck I just want to go to Winnipeg and see town and some hockey. Fishing that lake would be a bonus. How was the fishing up there?

Lake Winnipeg is a must do trip for anyone that enjoys ice fishing.  The action is incredible.  The fish readily come in and smoke a bait and you have a shot at a true giant everytime you drop down.  We caught 202 walleyes in 2.5 days of fishing and each of us had several plays on fish over 26" and up to 30".  It can be an intimidating body of water based on the shear size and the conditions one can encounter.  We lucked out and had sweatshirt weather in the dead of winter last February.  I'm planning on heading back sometime this March despite the reports of the fishery declining due to netting.   Dirty Water - Fish rely heavily on vibration and sound and hit like a freight train.  Must do trip. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/19/17 21:41 UTC »
Kyle's office looks like a display at Cabelas.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/19/17 22:25 UTC »
I have been looking at Lake Winnipeg online it looks like monster. I have never been on the ice just doesn’t happen anywhere I have ever lived. I am thinking a fall trip before the ice but after hockey has started. I am a huge Winnipeg Jets hockey fan so I’d like to knock out both experiences in one trip. Maybe one day it will happen
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/20/17 06:12 UTC »
  Wow ! Nice walleye. I bet that thing looked like a tank coming through the ice.