Author Topic: Core shootin'  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
Core shootin'
« on: 12/18/17 15:19 UTC »
Playing around getting some colors dialed in on some core shots. (ringworm in the center was my target). While I was finishing off the last of the plastic I rushed to grab my ES ripper mold to see what would happen. While not perfect, the result shows promise that a core to some extent can be achieved with some more experimenting.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Core shootin'
« Reply #1 on: 12/18/17 15:27 UTC »
Good walleye colors!

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/18/17 15:31 UTC »
Those two orange core shots trip my trigger.!
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #3 on: 12/18/17 17:58 UTC »
Those two orange core shots trip my trigger.!

I was pleased the way those char/orange core turned out myself!! Those were done towards the end of the session. By then the multiple reheats has taken a toll on my transparent chartreuse (got dingy). Even then, with the shop lights off those orange baits “popped” from across the shop!

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/18/17 18:24 UTC »
I havnt tried it with the ES ripper. But he single cavity cnc ripper can be core shot pretty nicely by pouring your outside color in the sprue hole then quickly injecting the core color through it.  I would say that at least the single cavity on the ES could be done that way as well.  Very nice colors there Bones.  What chartreuse are you using?

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 12/18/17 18:47 UTC »
What chartreuse are you using?

Only two colorants used on these baits. On the char/green core I only used lureworks green chartreuse dye. 4 drops per oz for core and 1 per oz on the outer color. Then the orange is lureworks firetiger orange, loaded per oz. didn’t measure out just went nuts with it till I liked it. Outer color again was the green char dye. That is also the same method I use on my cores as well is pour and shoot behind.on the ripper the single cavity doesn’t have a long enough spru. So I plugged the top cavity on the stacked side for this one. A little more playing till I dial in the right amount to pour in.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/18/17 20:16 UTC »
Nice work and thanks for the info. I was hoping you weren't gonna tell me that chartreuse was a dye.  I love the color but hate the bleed. 

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #7 on: 12/18/17 20:41 UTC »
Nice work and thanks for the info. I was hoping you weren't gonna tell me that chartreuse was a dye.  I love the color but hate the bleed.

That was my concern going into this. The green core is the only one that has me worried. As long as that core color don’t bleed out too much and “bleach” the entire bait I can live with it. I’m not worried about the fire tiger orange being effected from it. Time will tell.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/18/17 21:06 UTC »
I think they will be fine because factory baits in those colors are made from bleeding dye. Just keep them away from all your other baits. That's the part I'm not good at lol. Either way they look darn good.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 12/19/17 05:24 UTC »
Them will get the job done
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/19/17 06:08 UTC »
Very nice ! Whose mold makes the bait on the far left ?

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #11 on: 12/19/17 08:19 UTC »
Those would be a custom mold I had made a few years back. It’s no mystery what I was aiming for when I designed it (moxi), but I tweaked the tail to achieve more action at extremely low speeds. That tail will just slither in Little to no current. While it’s not gonna put off much of any sound/vibration. I believe the ribbed body has enough displacement for fish to hone in on it.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/19/17 09:24 UTC »
While it’s not gonna put off much of any sound/vibration. I believe the ribbed body has enough displacement for fish to hone in on it.

I totally agree... one of my best baits of yesteryear (before Do-it was into the soft plastic business) was a large lizard with a ringed body... that is also one of the reasons that the Flippin' Zip is one of my top winter walleye baits.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 12/19/17 10:05 UTC »
Years and years ago [I still had hair and weighed in at 158 pounds] I bumped into Al and Ron Lindner at the Red Wing dam in the middle of winter. They were just starting into the filming stuff back then and those guys were smoking walleyes using a ringed lizard on a jig.

One of the big mis-conceptions on winter fish is that they need to be shown a small bait...especially walleyes and crappies. My favorite winter bait, if I get out on ice, is exactly the same sized baits/jigs that I favor in the spring summer and fall.
« Last Edit: 12/19/17 10:07 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
« Reply #14 on: 01/09/18 05:32 UTC »
Playing around getting some colors dialed in on some core shots. (ringworm in the center was my target). While I was finishing off the last of the plastic I rushed to grab my ES ripper mold to see what would happen. While not perfect, the result shows promise that a core to some extent can be achieved with some more experimenting.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

These were all made spike it colorants