Author Topic: Ned Rig plastic  (Read 1396 times)

Offline jackie53

• Minnow
Ned Rig plastic
« on: 12/25/17 07:49 UTC »
Ned Rig craze om our home lake looking for the Best plastic.Needs to float.Thanks Merry Christmas.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: Ned Rig plastic
« Reply #1 on: 12/25/17 08:08 UTC »
I don't have a "Ned rig" mold per se, but simply make unweighted senkos and cut them down to the desired length. I use the soft plastisol from bait junkys and don't add any softener at all. The baits float and stand up great using a mushroom style head or even the ole round shakey head style. Hope this helps and Merry Christmas!

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 12/25/17 08:22 UTC »
I have fished the ned quite a bit the last two years and while I love pouring my own baits I catch a lot more fish on the elaztech baits than on my own.  I hate dealing with some of the drawbacks of elaztech (like making sure you keep them separate from other plastics etc) but for me their is no contest.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/25/17 13:46 UTC »
I really hate the elaztech stuff, it's absolutely destroyed some cranks and plastics I didn't know it was touching but dammit if that stuff doesn't last forever! Seriously, you'll probably lose the bait before you've ever caught enough fish to wear it out.

Offline johnrielly

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 12/25/17 16:18 UTC »
Use the 3.5 inch carrot baits. I catch more on those then the trd baits

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 12/25/17 17:36 UTC »
Use the 3.5 inch carrot baits. I catch more on those then the trd baits

I'm thinking your probably right on the money.  I have used the 3 inch skinny carrot in the past with less than decent results, but I started using a really soft formula and really started wacking the crappie on a 1/16th ounce jig head/  I am going to try them on a ned head this year.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline jackie53

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 12/26/17 09:20 UTC »
Thanks for all the info.Happy New Year.

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #7 on: 01/01/18 22:45 UTC »
I do not like elastec stuff. Neither do most of my customers I use the 3" carrots and the gliders on Ned rigs and they work great.
I have caught bass over 4 pounds on this set up. I will also use the Do-It wacky jig heads on the same baits including the 3.5' finesse worm and the back half of the spear tail worm.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/02/18 09:54 UTC »
The new MF Super Float Bounce works well.

Even better, I have been shooting the Do-it Senkos with Essentiasl plastic which seems tougher than other plastics and shooting them Ecore style using a knitting needle but I don't fill the void leaving it as an air pocket. I cut the Senko in half and then dip the blunt ends in hot plastic to seal them. I normally use the same color, but dipping in black and getting a 2 color looked kind of cool. I need to experiment to see if sealing the end is even necessary. I'm thinking that since there is no vent at the top of the worm the air is trapped.

When I first started fishing them I put some instant glue up the void where the hook came out, but came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary as it seemed that the air in the top of the worm was trapped.

The Air E-Core really floats the worm!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/02/18 11:50 UTC »
I've done about the same thing with 1.5" Thump-Its and used them on drop shot rigs, 6" long leader to a plain hook, when crappies are super finicky. The trapped air floats them very well. A larger air chamber in the senko version should do a great job.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 01/02/18 14:28 UTC »
I think I am going to shoot some up and try them in an aquarium to see how well they stand up.  I really would like to be rid of elaztech but that crap works so well its hard.  Thanks for the tips.

Offline jackie53

• Minnow
« Reply #11 on: 01/02/18 17:50 UTC »
Thanks for the replies,got our 3.5 in carrot mold,have all of them now.LOL.Have DO-it,Mf and some other plastic's will give them a try after this artic blast.LOL.Thanks again.

Offline jackie53

• Minnow
« Reply #12 on: 01/03/18 08:23 UTC »
Got our 3.5 in carrot for making the ned rigs,tried several plastics in salt water formulas "tougher" plastic,had some essential plastic already made some 3 in and 3.5 in carrots in green pumpkin and smoke red flake,We fish a deep gin clear lakes where 10 lb bags win a bass tour known as the Dead see,We have been fishing these on a midwest jighead #4 barlows sohumi hook 1/16 oz have seen 100 fish days lot of small fish but on the dead sea has been a game changer,ordered some MF plastic to try,but already liking the essential plastic,floats,soft and holds the hook well,Thanks for all the help and info,fishing on Gloomis rods,shimano reels 1000,2 yes 2 lb and 4 lb trout magnet SOS line,Really fun fishing on 2 lb test.LOL.

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/03/18 18:46 UTC »
...ordered some MF plastic to try,but already liking the essential plastic,floats,

Did something change in the Essential where it all of the sudden floats?

Offline jackie53

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 01/04/18 08:15 UTC »
Did something change in the Essential where it all of the sudden floats?

No doesn,t float like the elastic wish it did,poured the MF Bounce yesterday really likeing this plastic.Will see if fish like it.