Author Topic: New member here - some beginner questions...  (Read 3673 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: New member here - some beginner questions...
« Reply #15 on: 12/27/17 08:38 UTC »
Hi Ryans dad

Is there a chance you could set something up in your garage ... if you have one ? That would be a cheaper option that would allow your son to shoot baits 3/4s of the year with a minimal investment. Adding a heat source to the garage would up the expense but is certainly doable.

I think my total cost for my plastic making set up in the garage set me back under 300 bucks. That includes the microwave and an overkill light duty commercial exhaust fan which I installed in a window. My bench was already there but it's not a huge expense to build one if need be. I also use one of those white plastic folding tables for setting stuff on. I picked one up at Walmart relatively for like 30 bucks or so.

I do have heat in my garage. I had a Modine Hot Dawg heater installed last winter.   It won't keep your garage toasty warm when the exhaust fan is running but it's provides enough heat to allow me to make baits. It's plenty warm for when I want to go out there and putz around doing other projects.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 12/27/17 08:58 UTC »
I'll second the Hi and a welcome to you Ryan's Dad.

I know this sounds crazy, but I store all of my plastic creating materials indoors where it stays at room temperature. My microwave in on the work bench in the garage. Andy and I live about 40 miles from each other and I'm quite certain that this morning he to is enjoying temps in the teens below zero. I will cook plastic and inject my molds at these temps, but I mix everything inside, then carry the cups. molds and injector into the garage and get on with it. I wear a heavy hoodie and keep the warm mold and warm injector in the hand pocket/pouch so the cold doesn't get to them too fast. Rapping them in a terry cloth towel is another way to keep them warm. Basically the time in the garage is a short term affair if the batch sizes are kept small and only a couple or three injections are done at a visit.

This is a wonderful hobby and I encourage you to find a way to get him creating but do it smart so no one's health is in question. I know it sounds like a lot of fiddling around to do things this way, it is nonetheless, a way to keep him involved in it. One of the biggest problems I see with new-comers to the plastic injection is hurrying things. Having to think things thru a bit and having to go from one area to another to complete a bait may not be all that bad of an idea because of the time taken to change locations....helps to take the hurry out of it especially if he is cautioned that he can't rush out the door with a cup of fluid plastic fearing a spill.

Again, welcome to the Do-It forums and stay in touch as there's a pile of great people here to help!

Offline Oneida Bassin

• Minnow
« Reply #17 on: 12/27/17 18:25 UTC »
Ryan's "dad" here again

Sorry for hijacking my son's thread - but was going to give you an update.
Just when I THOUGHT I had a solution, the issue of carbon monoxide has now risen. Ugh!!!!!!!!

As frustrated as I am - THANK YOU for the heads up! This is HUGE issue. I just hope everyone is aware of this.

My solution WAS to build a box around the microwave which would include an 18" work area to one side to mix / place hot plastic. This box would have an inline fan mounted in rear of box venting to outside the home. For extra insurance that all air was flowing into box, I was going to place a floor fan behind him blowing towards work area.

Now carbon monoxide???  My propane hot water tank has a forced air blower venting to the outside and my wood stove has 35' of pipe creating a huge up draft. I don't see how a 200 cfm fan could overpower those forces. BUT - as a precaution, I will place a CO detector by him. I will also be cracking a side window behind him. I wouldn't think it's feasible to pull CO from stove/hot water tank with a fresh air source flowing.

I am also out of my league as this is not my area of expertise.... If anyone sees a problem, please advise. I'll also put in another call to my HVAC engineer.

If I keep this up, I'll have to get my OWN screen name!!!

Thank you all again for the input. You've more than likely prevented some serious health issues. 

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 12/27/17 19:57 UTC »
Not meant to scare you...but it is worth being aware of the potential issue.

I bet a lot of us tried to come up with a good basement process...but gave up and moved to the garage!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Oneida Bassin

• Minnow
« Reply #19 on: 12/27/17 21:16 UTC »
Not meant to scare you...but it is worth being aware of the potential issue.

I bet a lot of us tried to come up with a good basement process...but gave up and moved to the garage!

No no no - Thank YOU for bringing this to my attention!

To think, when I put this kit together for him, I thought it would be a fun winter project for him to do at the kitchen table with mom's microwave...   :o   This is no Play-Doh factory!

I have consulted with my HVAC friend and he said a 180-200 cfm fan would not pose a CO issue. The house would have to reach negative pressure before pulling CO out of furnace. Our basement is a large (empty) walkout with an open staircase leading to upstairs (ranch). I'll make sure there's always a window open behind him as well. He'll be working in front of a vent hood (that I have to build) with a floor fan pushing fresh air towards it. Also, I bought him a respirator last night. Thank you to ALL that chimed in saying they wear one as well.

We will try to post a picture once I get the supplies rounded up and get this contraption built.

Ok - My son is getting upset because how much "Dad" is posting on HIS account! LOL

This forum is a great resource! I will encourage him to use it as much as possible.

Thank you all for you help and concerns

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 12/27/17 21:54 UTC »
I got on here to help my son get started too. 4 months and 300 posts later I’m here daily so don’t feel bad. It’s a great father son bonding activity making worms together. You’ll enjoy it Maybe too much
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 12/27/17 22:32 UTC »
Ask your heating/ac guy if he knows where you/he could find a used restaurant overhead vent or used super cfm kitchen overhead vent (like what is used over an island). If you could find one, and figure the investment to install it was worth it (if for no other reason that you will know where your son and his friends are!!!!) You will be really glad you did it!

There is NO such thing as having enough molds!!!! And then there is also getting into lead molds....and painting your own crank baits !!!!!

Hey it is your fault...you started it!

Andy
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Oneida Bassin

• Minnow
« Reply #22 on: 01/25/18 15:33 UTC »

Hello again! This is Ryan's dad logged in under his screen name for an update.

Wow what a project...... It has been a month to the day that my son opened his kit for Christmas - But, I finally have what I believe is a safe solution so he can pour inside the basement.

Spent hours researching and designing. It's pretty basic but does the job. I built a tapered vent hood from a stiff cardboard type material and reinforced it with a wooden frame. Put a 6" duct out the back that is powered by a 3 speed 420 CFM fan which is then vented out the basement window. There's another window behind him that provides clean air in. I made the window duct out of 2" foam board so it seals great and can take it in and out as needed. 

I didn't want too large of a thing that would turn over all the warm inside air, so I built the microwave up and made a work area directly below it. Microwave and mixing / pouring station is all contained in the "suction" ventilated area. Pull out the hot Pyrex cup, bring it straight down - fumes from microwave and cup get pulled through the back of hood and out the window! Between this and the use of a respirator, I believe he will be adequately protected as well as the rest of us in the house.

Thank you all for the input!

I will try to post pictures of his work area next.

Offline Oneida Bassin

• Minnow
« Reply #23 on: 01/25/18 15:57 UTC »
I followed Jason's directions and managed to get them in gallery under "Vent hood"

Have to come back later and try to post on this thread

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 01/25/18 17:21 UTC »
Nice, but it's way to clean! ;) 

Offline Oneida Bassin

• Minnow
« Reply #25 on: 01/25/18 18:09 UTC »

Ok - I give up!!!!!

I got the pics in gallery easy peasy, but I can NOT get them in this thread! I'm on track to have as much time trying to post the pictures as I had building it...    ::)   I don't know if it's because I'm doing it from this worthless iPad instead of a PC?

If someone has the ability, feel free to put them here. If not, they are in gallery under Vent hood 1,2&3

My job is done as "Dad". Thank you all again for bringing this to our attention. I'm signing off for real now (and will be working on my Patents for a home vent kit  :D )  Any future posts will be from my son as this IS his account.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 01/25/18 18:25 UTC »
I only have success posting pics on a thread on a laptop vs tablet. Makes no sense...but it is what it is!

I can upload pic from my phone to the gallery with no issues.

Andy

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 01/25/18 18:44 UTC »

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #28 on: 01/25/18 20:02 UTC »
Nice set up I was wondering the other day what had become of your project
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures