Author Topic: Oh what fun it is to cast....  (Read 1262 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Oh what fun it is to cast....
« on: 12/26/17 13:36 UTC »
...in the garage at -13 degrees, as it was this morning. I'm glad I don't do this every day. Or have to. I did the Swim Jig and the Diner Shiner, both with wires. The Diner I wanted to do up a bunch in the 1/16 and 1/8 for my own box. While I had a size 2 hook out I tried a few in the 1/16 cavity which calls for the #4 hook and even with the wire all is good.

The Swim head I did in the smaller three cavities. The wires pose no problems that I could see. I know some people cut the wires at the bend, but I left them as they come. For those who hand pour these with a ladle, I found that I'd get an occasional partial fill on just about every size. To get around this, I tipped the mold up on the hinge end at about 35 degrees and then poured. Bingo....full fills every time.

I cast up a couple hundred between the two molds before the ice began to develop on  under my finger nails. I figured that was enough to get me to the compressor this afternoon for some spraying...if my darned fingers can begin to flex again.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
Re: Oh what fun it is to cast....
« Reply #1 on: 12/26/17 20:15 UTC »
Sounds like fun a bunch of molded goodies. Can’t wait to what you paint them.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/26/17 20:26 UTC »
We have been talking about a trip next year at Christmas I had thought about St. Paul because I want to see it in winter. -13 may have just ruined that. Then again it’s in the mid 20’s here right now. It was fun changing a car battery tonight by iPhone light in those temps.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/26/17 21:23 UTC »
Don't let a little cold weather scare you off Panel. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/26/17 21:28 UTC »
It was only 37 below a bit further north of here last night. Just getting into the heavier jacket temps now.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 12/26/17 21:33 UTC »
And it makes for really good ice!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/26/17 21:46 UTC »
I spent part of the afternoon painting and putting eyes on some of the jigs. Thought maybe I would dip them tomorrow but then tv was a joke tonight so Ma and I watched a movie and when that finished I did the dip job. Now its drying time. The jigs are hanging peacefully in the laundry/furnace room where lots of heat gets made on these cool nights....set that Seal Coat up right nice by morning.

The purple /chartreuse and the pink over chartreuse each got a little pffft of orange on the throat of each jig in both sizes and it really finishes a jig up nice. I am very pleased with them. Now I have part of a box done, but I still have a bunch of heads to do....just thinking up color schemes. I'll get a picture of'em up in the morning.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/26/17 21:48 UTC »
For a guy that wants to visit Alaska, much of Canada and the Scandinavian countries I need to toughen up a little I guess but -37 that’s a bit intimidating

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/27/17 06:24 UTC »
I no longer like cold weather, Sitting here with a cup of coffee and a seed catalog planning this years garden! A mess of bluegills does sound good though. Have to get some out of the freezer later on! LOL

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 12/27/17 06:48 UTC »
PTL jacket weather too Tom is a DO-IT  hoodie.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/27/17 06:57 UTC »
Tom, don't forget to color some up in firetiger, Black top, green upper sides chartruse lower sides and belly and a orange throat. Always catch fish on that color. Also parrot (blue on top)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/27/17 07:02 UTC »
I’m sitting here while the truck warms up it’s 18 with a wind chill of 8. A few years ago it would have been hoodie weather for me. Heck 10 degrees warmer i would have ridden the motorcycle to work but not now I have gotten a little more sensitive to the cold in the last year.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/27/17 07:22 UTC »
As people get older they start seeing issues with circulation and other health issues that make the cold weather a pain in the butt. Medications such as beta blockers slow heart rates down and with the lower heart rate comes cold intolerance. I take a beta blocker and where the cold never bothered me much I get pretty chilly if I don't dress for it. One misconceptioned question that I've heard a hundred times if once is "how do you guys get used to the cold?". People living where winters cold is a factor never get used to  or accustomed to it, they adapt to it.

You mentioned wanting to come to St.Paul during the winter Paneltruck. I'll be up there later today and get the dates for the winter carnival. If you want to see some beautiful ice sculptures, come up for that. They make an actual castle from ice cut on one of the local lakes.....Green Lake I believe gets the honors this year. Unless its way down in the minus numbers for temperature, this celebration is doable for just about anyone. They have heaters and chimerias scattered throughout the walks and central gathering areas where a quick warm-up can be had. 

Right now both my garage thermometer and a weather reporting station are showing -15 degrees at 7:25 am.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 12/27/17 07:39 UTC »
To me dealing with cold or hot temps is more a mind over matter thing than anything. If you're constantly thinking about how cold or hot it is outside then chances are you won't have a good experience. Like Tom says, you'll adapt to the conditions without even realizing it.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 12/27/17 20:30 UTC »
I think my recent displeasure with the cold is due to medication for my back. Circulation could be to blame my wife says the last few months my feet are a level of cold she has never seen. I have lived in Texas and Oklahoma my whole life and still hate heat 6 years ago when we had 100 days of temps over 100 I was miserable