Author Topic: The Shiner's larger kin....  (Read 4138 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
The Shiner's larger kin....
« on: 12/30/17 10:25 UTC »
I did these up to put in  a new box for the waldo fishing. The heads range from the 3/16 to the 3/8 and have hooks  suggested in the mold except the 3/8 which sports a 4/0 Matzuo. All of these Matzuo hooks are remnants from several years ago when Matzuo had a huge problem with quality control and I was credited new hooks from a provider. I had to sort thru a mess of then to get enough to do this casting session and still had some issues getting the hooks in the mold along with the wires. The problem with the hooks is the stem length between the hook shank and tie eye. The hooks DID NOT come from Do-It and this issue is supposed to be a thing of the past.

I added a perch color and removed the orange and black in this bunch. I also tweaked the pink this time using fluorescent pink and cutting it about 25% with pearl magenta and adding a touch of reducer to help the pearl flow. The green back of the perch was done by mixing fluorescent green and green pearl about equal and using the reducer again. The chartreuse that looks almost gold is the lime pearl and fluorescent yellow at about 60/40% respectively and cut with some reducer. The purple pearl and orange fluorescent are right out of the bottle, neither needing any help from reducer. The purple and pink numbers all have the orange throat patch in orange.

In each color the chartreuse was applied first in a nice coat that covered without the paint pushing. Too close, too much pressure or too much paint will result in the paint "pushing" and stacking up on an edge of the spray pattern. Putting down a nice even coat is all that's needed in the chartreuse. The other colors are single coats blown on at an angle so the coverage is at the back/bottom and feathers down the sides. Generally, keep the coats light and thin  but just heavy enough to get good color. If I end up with a really thin area and the lead shows I leave it since the Seal Coat will cover it and the added reflection is always welcome. I've found out that attempting to amend thin areas usually turns out to be a bad idea so I just leave the paint as is or wash it off and start over. 

You'll note again that the purple outnumbers any others....its absolutely my go to color for basically everything I fish. That perch color has been a real solid walleye/sauger performer too so the black/orange went and the perch came in. The perch is a real looker and I am happy with the outcome in doing the three color. The orange throat patch shows in a few of these but in the hand its a thing of beauty. The patch can be a challenge to apply without over-doing it so whenever I can get the practice I take.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Re: The Shiner's larger kin....
« Reply #1 on: 12/30/17 11:32 UTC »
As always those look amazing
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 12/30/17 11:46 UTC »
I think your ready to paint crankbaits. Another awesome pic by the master.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/31/17 18:21 UTC »
Tom's picture (and -10 degrees so it's too cold to go ice fishing) motivated me out to the garage to mold some Diner Shiners and toss them in along with some crankbaits I was planning to paint.

This is the 3/8 oz with 3/0 Matzuo 9014

Paints:
Createx Auto Air: White base
Createx: Moss, orange, and black.

Essential Series Grub watermelon/black flake
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/31/17 18:57 UTC »
Lookin good Andrew, do you always fish your grub tail up? I usually fish mine with the tail pointed down.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/31/17 19:03 UTC »
Nice one Andy.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/31/17 19:09 UTC »
Looks great Andy I like it a lot!

I wanted to trout fish or pour plastic lures but it was 22 with a wind chill of -3. Other than the hour or so I took the big kids out to the store so Mom and little brother could catch a nap I have been inside all day. Hopefully tomorrow the wind dies down
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/31/17 20:09 UTC »
Lookin good Andrew, do you always fish your grub tail up? I usually fish mine with the tail pointed down.

I figure the first curl acts like a rudder and doesn't block the path to the hook if it was riding up. But some say if you rig it with the tail pointed up it can fowl on the hook (really?).

Frankly, I rig it both ways...and never have really given it a lot of thought!

« Last Edit: 12/31/17 20:24 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/31/17 20:39 UTC »
I have always preferred the tail up. No reason really, I just think it looks better that way. To each his own they say. Good looking rig Andy.

Nice paint job ctom!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 12/31/17 20:46 UTC »
Great jig and plastic combo Andy. There is a difference in the action of the tail depending on how the tail is positioned if you hold one pointing up and it turns like a cork screw wish on a jig it has great action. Pointing down it just stays pointing down. The thing about a twister type bait they work no matter how you want to put it on.
« Last Edit: 12/31/17 20:48 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/31/17 22:01 UTC »
This is probably rambling from an old man with bad eyesight but I have always fished my curly tails with the curly tail up until about last year or so.  I really think I get better tail action on the fall with the curl facing down and have since fished with them that way.  I think it has helped.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/31/17 22:24 UTC »
Looks like I have to try tail down this next season.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/31/17 22:43 UTC »
ok...Tail up on even dates....tail down on odd days!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/01/18 08:07 UTC »
In the auto-air colors there is a purple tint color listed. Its a color shifting finish to lay over a dark or black base, but man a person will pay dearly for that. Clear top coat and some of the pearls I brush on plastics will get you a way larger field of playthings with essentially the same effects. Much cheaper.

Andy...have you tried the auto air directly on a shiny, fresh cast head? No undercoat.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 01/01/18 08:50 UTC »
ok...Tail up on even dates....tail down on odd days!

Dang, you figured it out!
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.