Author Topic: New guy with questions.  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
New guy with questions.
« on: 01/02/18 19:19 UTC »
Hello everyone,
I'm a new guy to lure making although I've been tying flies for fly fishing for about twenty years. I've always wanted to get into lure making as well to supply myself with "custom" baits for my own use. I plan to get started molding jigs and blade baits this spring as well as airbrushing my own cranks and hardbaits. I've been lurking here and reading posts for a while and I think I have the jig making and blade bait making understood pretty well but I'm still pretty lost in regard to airbrushing. I'd like to buy my first airbrush and compressor etc.. but really don't know what to buy. I'd rather not spend a huge amount on them if I don't need to but, of course, if there are real world reasons why I should....
 I'm hoping someone would be willing to offer me some good solid advice in regard to getting started. I don't understand why some airbrushes and compressors cost so much more than others. What do I need to spend to get a decent set up? What features should I be looking for? Would anyone care to recommend a set up?

Thanks in advance,
Don

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: New guy with questions.
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/18 20:38 UTC »
Welcome aboard Ridgeking....

Buy a pancake compressor. I got mine at Harbor Freight for $35.00 and the built in regulator works fine thus far.  They run about $50 and will do a good job as a starter. Maybe buy a regulator/moisture filter with it. For the brush, I'll suggest the Badger Patriot. About $75. You'll need to order the air hose for it . I don't recommend that you buy cheap on the brush as you'll only run into frustration. The Patriot is simple to use and simple to clean and will do a fine job for you. I have the Patriot and chose it over Iwata and Paasche brushes. You can do better on pricing on the brushes over the internet rather than in brick and mortar stores.

Createx paints can be gotten in many stores and shops. Hobby Lobby and Michaels both have air brushes and the paints/accessory items. Check out www.artmaterialsonline.c om for paint and cleaner and reducer, all things that go hand in hand with the air brush and paints. Buy a 1/4" wide fine-haired bristle brush to use when cleaning the cup....you can get into those hidden recesses with the soft bristles and scrub out paint you can't see without harming any of the needle or cone parts. The hair brush is the best cleaning tool you can have. Keep a roll of paper towel handy.

When you have everything at home and ready to paint, try plain water in the brush's cup and spray against a simple piece of brown corrugated cardboard. Your spray pattern will darken the cardboard enough that you can get an idea of the pattern's coverage and density and will also allow you to play with different distances from your spraying target so you become familiar with coverage from that aspect. You'll also be able to tinker with pressure settings so you'll have a feel for what you need and when too pressure much is being used. When you've played with the air brush a bit and feel confident that you're ready, use some white and do the same thing spraying on the cardboard until you can actually see what you're doing....too much, too close, too much pressure, too slow in sweeping the brush. Lots of things will pop right in front of you so you can see exactly whats what. It won't take but a couple minutes any you'll be spraying for real.

Take your time and have fun with the air brush. Its a fast curve to learn and there are more uses for the air brush than painting tackle.

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/18 21:40 UTC »
AWESOME! Thank you ctom! I can't wait to get started.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/18 21:43 UTC »
There are LOTS of how to videos for painting crankbaits on YouTube. Watch as many as you can before you go out and buy a bunch of stuff. There is also a ton of info over on Tackle Underground. http://www.tackleunderground.com

I got this book when I first started and it was a LOT of help! It is from Dakota Lakes Tackle who has a bunch of good videos.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1478233796/ref=as_sl_pd_tf_lc?tag=dakotalakesta-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=1478233796&adid=0N5G6PQ2KX5PQVZ339PA&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fdakotalakestackle.com%2FBook.html

When I started I bought a kit similar to the link below. Top quality stuff...but not cheap. I did a lot of reading, watching videos etc. and I knew I wanted:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-KIT-4207-IS800_3.html#.WkxM12hKvb0

A dual action brush (push the button down for air, back for paint and how much you push or pull regulates how much paint comes out). This turns out to be a lot more important than I first thought.

A 0.30 needle

A top bowel,gravity feed. (Do NOT get a bottom feed suction!)

A airbrush that is easy to take apart and clean. (really important because if it isn't completely clean...it doesn't work right!!).

A compressor with pressure regulator so I can shoot at low PSIs (10) or high PSI 30

A compressor with a water trap.

Don't buy cheap crap. You get what you pay for and it won't work the way you want it to especially if you get into crankbaits.

I have ZERO artisic ability, but I am absolutely amazed how well my crankbaits are turning out now. But, I have studied every video, bought some really good templates and practiced....practiced.. .practiced!

Start on some "practice baits", then wipe them clean with acetone nail polish remover and water and do them again...and again...and again! Like your first jigs, your first plastic baits, your first wirebending and your first crankbaits everthing will get a LOT better over time!

Good luck and happy studying!

« Last Edit: 01/02/18 21:47 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 01/02/18 22:16 UTC »
Thanks! I've been watching a lot of videos. I've also been looking at and admiring the stuff you guys do here. All of you guys are amazing talents, I'm learning tons as I go through the older posts and some of the stuff you guys make is just astounding!  :o

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/18 08:13 UTC »
When it comes to lure making I find one motto stays true no matter what you're doing: buy it right and buy it once.  Nothing in this hobby can be considered cheap, inexpensive, maybe.  In my mind, going the cheap route will only cost you more money, frustration and wasted time in the end.  While I don't advocate going out and buying $500 worth of equipment, I also can't advocate for buying a kit for under $100 either. 

I did much the same as Tom did when I first started out with an inexpensive 3 gal pancake compressor from Harbor Freight to which I added an inline regulator with moisture trap (the compressor has a regulator as well; open it fully and use the reg on the inline trap to adjust your flow).   I have two brushes, a Badger Patriot and an Iwate Eclipse.  Both are good brushes and pretty affordable as well.  As someone just starting out, in my opinion, the Badger was easier to learn on and a little more forgiving as far as cleaning, mixing and painting because it has a larger needle.  Now, I use the both of the brushes and simply adapt them to whatever job I am doing.  A bait without many small details and only a few colors I will use the Badger.  Smaller, more intricate details and I'll use the Iwata.

For paint, I use mainly the Createx paints.  I have several from the regular, wicked and auto air lines and all work well.  I also have a several paints from another brand that the name escapes me at the moment but is used for military model painting but has worked well for me in the past as well.  For top coat I use a 30 minute work time clear epoxy from DevCon on my squarebills or other cranks that will be fished around heavy cover.  For jerk baits and the like I use KBS diamond clear. 

As for any advice, just practice practice practice.  Your first couple of baits will look rough as you figure out how to regulate your pressure and paint flow but you'll get the hang of it and you can always wipe it and start again.  Buy a cheap loofa scrub thing from walmart and use that for scale netting.  A set of Jeweler's helping hands are invaluable and can be had for cheap on Amazon as well as some alligator clips to hold it in place.  Stencils can also be had on ebay for relatively inexpensive prices as well as some amazing 3D printed stencils from lurecolourstudio.com by a man named Jonas who does simply phenomenal work.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/18 20:58 UTC »
Well, I'm glad you are done lurking, RK; now it's time to start posting (pictures of your baits)... looking forward to seeing your work!

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 01/04/18 07:44 UTC »
Thanks everyone! Great advice and I appreciate it a lot. I've been watching a lot of videos and I'm looking forward to ordering my gun and paints. Thanks also for the warm welcome!

Online brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/18 20:10 UTC »

I too, have a  pancake compressor, but to be honest I like the little compressors made to use for airbrushes. reason being,  they run much quieter.  It may not bother you, but it drives me crazy, they run alot when your using them, especially if you have any leaks, in the lines.
 I have two, that I bought for 59.95, each, I have owned them for 3 years now, and they haven't missed a lick. They came with a regulator, and a water trap, and they run very quiet. I have run them alot. Hundreds of crankbaits, and lots of other baits also. I'm sure there are better ones made, but for the money, I don't see how you can beat them. They serve my purpose.

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/18 22:48 UTC »
https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/patriot-105-extreme

Would this be a decent brush to start with?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/18 23:01 UTC »
This is the one I have...just a little easier to use. Less to fiddle with. A bit less expensive. Don't forget to order a hose.

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/105-1-patriot

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 01/05/18 23:04 UTC »
Sounded good until I read: The tip of your needle is exposed when the trigger isn't pulled back, so you'll want to use the provided protective tip cover and protective case when you're not using the airbrush.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 01/05/18 23:45 UTC »
Just ran across this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCxXjtQBFU
Compares the 105 vs the extreme.

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #13 on: 01/06/18 12:30 UTC »
Great video. I picked up some good knowledge there. Thanks MT204.