Author Topic: Using hi light powders on already made baits  (Read 1872 times)

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
Using hi light powders on already made baits
« on: 01/04/18 15:40 UTC »
I just watched a Larry Dahlberg video on you turbe where he took a plastic bait and applied different colors of alumalite powder on it and then set the colors with the use of a heat gun.  I really liked how the baits came out and plan on ordering some of the colors.  At the same time I was wondering if the same process would set hi light powders as well.  Anyone tried it?  What were your results?
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Using hi light powders on already made baits
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/18 15:46 UTC »
They're pretty much the same thing. Don't toast your mitts!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/04/18 21:41 UTC »
Thanks, I will give it a shot,  Give me something to do till the temps moderate
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/18 08:12 UTC »
I've watched a few of his videos and generally am less than impressed with the mess he creates. Ya, the baits will work but I guess I' take a little pride in what I do and like consistent baits. I liken Dahlberg to a butcher that uses a larger than necessary cleaver to dress a chicken. I think he's too lazy to put hi lite in the plastic which of course will yield the same results. His technique works but the end result is less than pretty. I've tried that "heat after the fact" technique he uses with the hi lites after watching what is probably the same video and had less than decent results after several attempts. I'll stick to brushing and dipping. Maybe you'll have better luck.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/18 09:29 UTC »
I must agree with Captain Tom on this one.
I did try it and find hard to control the heat on 1,75 fry.
Also found it hard to tell when it was hot enough..
Magne

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/18 12:25 UTC »
I tried it this morning on a couple of 2.25 inch paddletails, and not quite what i was hoping for although it did work.  On one I tried using green pearl hi light for the top of the bait and violet for a centerstripe.  Clearly, steadier hands are needed.  The next one I tried coating a white paddletail with all gold hi=light.  It turned out much better but I still have to work on how much heat to apply.  I am ordering some of the alumidust powder from makelure.com (I want some of the darker colors anyway) and will continue to experiment.  I don't like dipping baits (partly cuz I suck at it and partly cuz I do not like that collar that forms from the dipping process).

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/18 19:27 UTC »

I ordered the alumidust  probably  2 years or so a go. I was not impressed at all. The black would only show a grey look to the bait. No matter how much I added. It would put some color on the bait, but it looked a lot better after dipping in clear plastic, in my opinion. I still have some, but probably will never use it. Just my 2 cents.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/06/18 21:26 UTC »
Well after playing around today and researching sources, I am thinking I NEED some of that color shifting stuff.  Man that stuff is wild.  Thanks for shortening my winter guys.