Author Topic: Rattles?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
Rattles?
« on: 01/05/18 12:44 UTC »
I was thinking about blade baits last night at work. ( as opposed to thinking about work, which is WAY LESS fun) Being an old fly designer and consummate tinkerer, the thought of adding little glass fly sized rattles inside of the lead portion of the bait came to me. Has anyone ever messed around with this idea?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Rattles?
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/18 12:52 UTC »
I haven't ever tried this and question whether casting lead around the small glass chamber will work without the chamber floating. I think I'd make whatever ad paint it then epoxy the rattles to it.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/18 13:25 UTC »
I think I'll drill a hole in the body and epoxy the rattle in before painting.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/18 14:04 UTC »
That would work.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/18 14:57 UTC »
That would work.

Yeah... I'm overthinking this I'm afraid...... LOL

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/18 15:27 UTC »
  I've poured rattles in the plastic before. Not sure it was much of an advantage. One would think lead would really deaden the sound. I like the rattles that are on rubber collars and slide up by the head of the jig.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/06/18 21:52 UTC »
Referencing old school wooden lures - my military bass partner was sponsored by Poe's when they started doing it - the early rattles consisted of a spent .22 casing and one or more BBs (depending on size) drilled into the cedar body... I would think something of this nature could be fabbed into an adequate sized lead lure (thinking it would be easier to drill and glue after casting than to cast with some sort of chamber in the cavity).

However, on most single hook baits it would be far easier to add the slip on rattles that plug into a rubber collar.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/18 23:38 UTC »
If they built the rattle chamber into the blade and when poured it on the out side and not incased it would work. Another thought is you can buy willow blades with rattles in them you can make a blade out of that and problem fixed.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN