Author Topic: Football Jig Hook  (Read 2344 times)

Offline logomount

• Minnow
Football Jig Hook
« on: 01/08/18 20:03 UTC »
I have the wire keeper football jig mold.  What is the best/strongest hook that will fit in that mold.  I'm only planning on making 1/2oz and 3/4oz jig for big bass and heavy cover applications.  I fish mostly Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend so I'd prefer the beefiest hook that will fit.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Football Jig Hook
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/18 21:33 UTC »
Welcome logomount!

Offline logomount

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/18 22:07 UTC »
Thanks Lines! This will be my first time pouring and I'm super excited about making my own jigs.  Going to be making a lot of footballs for pre-spawn and can't wait to get a swim jig mold for post spawn!!!

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/18 23:02 UTC »
Check out the Barlows Tackle site and look up your mold. He has suggestions for what hooks fit the mold.

Welcome aboard!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/18 23:14 UTC »
Welcome!

We are exploring a move back to Texas if it happens I’ll be hitting those 2 reservoirs myself.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/09/18 04:27 UTC »
There are a lot of good hooks to fit that mold, the Eagle Claw 786BP, the Mustad 32786, the Owner 5317, it all depends on what you want. If you are more confident with a high end hook then the Owner will work, there is also a Gamakatsu 2034 that might work as well. I like the new Eagle Claw Black Platinum series, the 786BP is a direct replacement for the Mustad and it is sharper than the Mustad and holds its point as well as, if not better than the Mustad too and it comes at a better price. To compare, the Mustad is no slouch either, the 32786 is a very strong hook with good sharpness and a long lasting point.

Offline logomount

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 01/09/18 10:53 UTC »
Thanks for the input smalljaw.  I think I'll try the Owner first and see how they turn out.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/09/18 18:19 UTC »
Can't go wrong with an Owner hook.

Offline logomount

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 01/13/18 17:36 UTC »
Poured about 2 dozen jigs today and they turned out excellent with the Owner 5317, it's a beast of a hook.