Author Topic: Fluid Bed vs. Dipping  (Read 979 times)

Offline logomount

• Minnow
Fluid Bed vs. Dipping
« on: 01/11/18 17:39 UTC »
Is it worth the hassle to build my own fluid bed (definitely not going to buy one) or will just dipping the hot jig heads in the powder paint suffice?  I know that I can make a fluid bed relatively cheap but if the results are the same as dipping, I'd rather save the money and time.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Fluid Bed vs. Dipping
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/18 18:09 UTC »
  Do what you want but TJ's is pretty hard to beat for fluid beds and their jig clamps are a must have. Oh and yes you need a fluid bed. It gives your bait a nice finished look. https://www.tjstackle.com

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/18 18:13 UTC »
My advice build a fluid bed.
Mine are cheap and easy to build.
I use a 3" flat end cap and mine cost less than $10 not including the pump.
With the addition of a 3x2 or 3x1.5 adapter I now have a smaller fluid bed.
Using knock out test caps makes testing different membranes super easy.
Though it depends on what your painting.
My bigger saltwater jigs are not paintable by dipping without the fluid bed.
Fluid beds produce nice even paint jobs.
They also make it easier to do white basecoats or uv blast or other clearcoats.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/11/18 18:16 UTC »
They both work....dipping and the fluid bed. If you're only doing some personal jigs I'd just dip them. As Lamar suggests the fluid bed will let you do a lot more jigs in a shorter time and you'll be using way less powder.. You need to weigh the differences.

Online Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/11/18 19:46 UTC »
I like the fluid bed to paint and for things like blade baits it's a necessity. I went with TJs also and couldn't be happier.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/11/18 20:52 UTC »
 Yes...you get a lot better results with a fluid bed.

Yes you can make your own, but press the esay button and buy the TJ's and some clamps.

Trust us...you can thank us later ! ;)
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online Bucho

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/18 13:18 UTC »
As said above, a fluid bed is a necessity for any self respecting jig crafter.

My recipe: Take a plastic jar, drill a hole in it and glue in an aquarium pump tube. Now take another identical jar, cut out the bottom and glue in laboratory grade filter paper(coffee filter doesn`t do the trick) instead. Now plug the filter paper jar into the first jar - done ready.

If you buy a double-outlet aquarium pump, you can combine for instance whit base and second coat clear with sparkle pigment etc. for extra nice pearlescent effects.  8)

The beauty of this system is that you can make many inexpensive paper bottom jars to store your paint in - one for every ground color you use. No need for messy re-fillings, and you can still use the jars for brush-tapping.