Author Topic: Rapala color jigs  (Read 1338 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Rapala color jigs
« on: 01/15/18 12:03 UTC »
I have a crappie box full of small cranks and sticks, many in Rapala baits. I love the productivity of the Rapalas both in floating and sinking regular stick raps and have duplicated a mess of their bait colors to jigs with super good results including the bite. I spent three days a while back casting 1/16 and 1/8 ounce Diner Shiner heads and the Teardrop heads, both with keeper wires, to get painted up as samples for some people/shops. Once I had those 300 heads painted up I still have about 2 hundred of each size in each head for me and have slowly been filling a couple boat boxes for the spring fishing. Over the weekend I did up a few in each head using a Rapala color format. They turned out pretty nice. Now all I need is about a week of weather somewhere around 80 degrees warmer than what I have today and I'll be in good shape.

Both the pink and blue backed baits have a white pearl undercoat. The white is createx standard white with a bunch of pearlizer in it and some reducer. The blue is transparent blue createx with a shot of both the reducer [not much in this one] and some pearlizer. The pink is createx fluorescent hot pink with three drops of pearl magenta and some reducer.  The orange is createx and some reducer, straight up.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Rapala color jigs
« Reply #1 on: 01/15/18 14:29 UTC »
Looks good. Al Linder's favorite color for smallmouth is pink!

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/15/18 15:29 UTC »
Beautiful.
What do you use for a pearlizer?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/15/18 16:06 UTC »
Createx makes the pearlizer. Its a thin clear product chock full of pearl pigment. Easy to use and does a super job of juicing up a color with pearl that normally would have none. In white where I use it the most in gives a beautiful oyster shell type of pearl look to it. I can't stand anything straight white and in these createx paints whites have so much pigment that the paint is hard to get to flow smoothly without clumping or adding a ton of reducer or jacking the air pressure up. Adding the pearlizer and some reducer really lets the white flow good and it also gives the white some reflective character. The blue in this picture is a transparent blue with a drop of white and maybe three of the pearlizer and three drops of reducer. The blue feathers real nice and when applied over the top of the back where its just straight lead it is almost electric and is a beautiful blue. The pink is the same. Neither the pink or blue has any pearl right from the bottle and the pearlizer just makes each color complete.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/15/18 17:37 UTC »
Thanks Tom.
Downloaded the entire Createx catalog and even had my wife go through page by page.
Nearest I found was a Auto Air 4500 series Hot Rod sparkle and Cosmic Sparkle?
https://autoaircolors.com/custom-automotive-paint/4501.html

Online tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 01/15/18 18:07 UTC »
What is the number on that pearilizer?  It sounds great I haven’t seen it.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 01/15/18 18:10 UTC »
What is the number on that pearilizer?  It sounds great I haven’t seen it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/15/18 18:49 UTC »
Huh....the number on the label says 5310, pearl white....but I can honestly say there is not a hint of white in this. Silver perhaps. White? I don't think so. But I can't argue with the label maker. All I know is if I spray this on right out of the jug its almost colorless pearl. And yes that's shook up until I have cramps. Never even saw the "white after pearl. But that's the one. And I do have to add substantial white to this to get white pearl.

I plan to pain again tomorrow and will add some super sparkle pearl to this and see what it does.

Online Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/15/18 21:04 UTC »
Those look great. I don’t know why the pink ones are so attractive to me. I don’t care for pink I sure won’t wear it but for whatever reason the pink really stands out in my book. Same as the pink soft plastics CC1 poured and texted me pictures of yesterday they looked great. Maybe I need to start fishing more pink lures.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/19/18 23:08 UTC »
Some works of art Tom