Author Topic: The color changing pearls....what to mix them in  (Read 592 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Many of these pearls are said to be best mixed with black paint and some are said to go atop of a black base. I've tried the putting the pearl in the actual black airbrush paint and haven't had great luck in doing so. I've added reducer to try and slow the dry time down so the pearls can come to the top but the paint simply dries too fast. So....I tried something else. CS Seal Coat, straight from the bottle. It dries crystal clear and is thin enough to transport the pearls to the bait as a top coat but has a slower dry time than the regular airbrush paints. It been working real nice for me.

In another thread I mentioned doing 4 crank baits in a black base coat and then using a green to gold to red for the sides and bellies of all four. Mixed with the Seal Coat this went on like a chief. The bellies were coated heavier and as the spray went up the sides of the baits I was able to feather the coat out real well. Then I mixed up four different color shifting or chameleon pearls to do the backs and feather the colors down the sides so that the green-gold-red faded right into the top color. Absolutely beautiful the way the Seal Coat lets a guy melt two colors together.

I let the baits hang for two hours to harden up, then added eyes and dipped the baits in a jar of the CS Seal Coat and hung them by the line tie to drip and dry. The top coat set up hard already so I moved the box they are hanging in into the furnace room where some higher heat is . As I moved them I took time to take a closer peek at them and all I can say is wow....iridescent plasma to the max.

The four baits are done in their own back colors and are really pretty basic paint jobs. No scaling or other wild features, just a belly and a back color with gold eyes. When I get the hooks hung I'll get a picture up of the 4-some for ya'll. Probably be a couple days.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: The color changing pearls....what to mix them in
« Reply #1 on: 01/17/18 05:30 UTC »
Now your putting the pearls in Seal Coat and spraying it on the lure through your airbrush? What are you cleaning your airbrush with after your done?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/17/18 07:46 UTC »
Regular airbrush cleaner for the first two or three washes, then straight denatured alcohol for the last couple rinses. Seal Coat is water soluble. Brush is clean and free for the next round.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/17/18 12:16 UTC »
It looks like you would have to be fast; as when it's dry; it would not be easy to clean. Maybe it doesn't dry that fast (Seal Coat) as I dip and hang and don't pay much attention until the next day!!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/17/18 13:07 UTC »
I spray and clean immediately with the Seal Coat. My final cleaning is about more complete too than when using created paints.