Author Topic: Casting/Weedless Grass Jig Hook (Swim Jig)  (Read 837 times)

Offline logomount

• Minnow
Casting/Weedless Grass Jig Hook (Swim Jig)
« on: 01/18/18 20:00 UTC »
What's the heaviest hook that this mold will take? Is there anyway to modify mold to accept larger hook?

Online BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/PrcrGEj5ZwM
Re: Casting/Weedless Grass Jig Hook (Swim Jig)
« Reply #1 on: 01/18/18 20:33 UTC »
If this is the mold you're talking about...
https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Grass-Weedless-Jig-Molds-P262.aspx
...it takes the Mustad 32886.  Very stout hook.

If you want to modify, Dremel is your best friend.
« Last Edit: 01/18/18 20:36 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016
".o.v.e.r.p.o.p.u.l.a.t.i .o.n."  Earth
"My Finesse Worms are Better Than Zoom's"  BKJ

.the 800-pound Gorilla Cometh.

Offline logomount

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 01/18/18 21:13 UTC »
Yup that's the mold...How does that hook compare to the Owner 5317?

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/19/18 06:53 UTC »
Yup that's the mold...How does that hook compare to the Owner 5317?

Owners 5317 is a 60 degree bend where as the Mustad 32886 is a 30 degree. So I wouldn't use that hook because you would have to change the whole angle of how the hook lays into the mold. I would think with a weedless jig you would want to keep with a hook with a 30 degree bend.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/19/18 08:34 UTC »
If you are still thinking about putting in a bigger diameter hook, make sure it's the right angle and everything, place it into the mold, close the mold and give it a solid tap with a mallet which should leave a nice impression telling you where to remove some mold material. Good luck.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/19/18 09:53 UTC »
Barlows just got a bunch of new VMC hooks in stock. One of them is 7217 30 degree heavy wire swimbait hook, you might want to look at that.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/19/18 13:01 UTC »
I use that head and I love it, I have pictures but can't seem to upload anything since photobucket crapped on us. Anyway, I find that head to use a hook that is plenty heavy but if you want heavier look at the Trokar Pro Swim Jig, it uses a stout flat eye hook, the 32796 or the EC 2706. I wasn't sure if I'd like that head with a flat eye hook but I actually love it, that is the swim jig I use for heavy cover and for bladed swim jigs. Now, the casting jig head you are talking about, Muskygary is correct, Barlow's has a heavy wire VMC 7217 30 degree hook and a Mustad 32850 30 degree hook, both of those hooks are slightly heavier than the Owner 5317 which is a 60 degree hook. I do not know what size head you plan on using but I'll give you some help. You can modify the casting jig mold to accept the heavier hook, it isn't hard but if you do that I wouldn't change the hook size. What I mean is that the small size mold I would not use the heavier hook on any cavity but the 1/4oz and I wouldn't use over a 3/0 on it. On the large size mold, the 5/16oz, 3/8oz and 1/2oz I would not go over a 4/0 unless you are an experienced lead caster. The reason why is the collar of that mold will work with the heavier hook when you modify the mold but the clearance will be tight enough to give you some trouble with the lead not forming the collar fully. I know this because I modified that mold for the 1/4oz to take a 5/0 32886, the mold uses that hook but only in a 3/0 and 4/0 and in order to get the mold to pour right with the 5/0 I have to increase my lead temp and make sure my mold is really hot, like really, really hot in order for it to fill out. Good luck.

Offline logomount

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 01/19/18 17:29 UTC »
Thanks for the responses guys!  I ordered the heavier mold.  I'm going to give the VMC 7217 a shot with my first batch and see how it goes. 

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/20/18 03:25 UTC »
Thanks for the responses guys!  I ordered the heavier mold.  I'm going to give the VMC 7217 a shot with my first batch and see how it goes.

Let us know how it goes and what size hook you got to use in it.  Good luck!!!