Author Topic: Powder painting troubles  (Read 610 times)

Offline jmill

• Minnow
Powder painting troubles
« on: 01/21/18 16:17 UTC »
Hi guys ive been applying powder paint and have a fluid bed but towards the top of the jig i have little spots that do not paint what could be the problem. i dont think its because of heat because ive had a few too hot that smoked. thanks

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Powder painting troubles
« Reply #1 on: 01/21/18 17:16 UTC »
What head are you painting and are you swirling the head thru the paint or just a dip/remove?

Offline jmill

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 01/21/18 17:22 UTC »
its a ball head jig and just dipping and removing.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/22/18 03:46 UTC »
A little over heating isn't going to hurt. I don't know which end when you say the top, if you are holding the jig by the hook do you mean the collar portion or the head? Is it the first part that hits the paint or the last? If the collar isn't getting fully painted then it is a heat issue, try a few more seconds of heat and don't worry if you get a little smoke. If the paint doesn't scorch or bubble you are fine, over heating becomes more of a problem when dipping in a jar because you end up getting too much paint on the head and when you cure it the paint will sag and you get the dreaded "nipple" hanging down. In a fluid bed a little over heating works fine and ensures you get full coverage, I've been doing this a long time and when I discovered powder paint in 2003 it changed the way I do things. That said, 15 years of using it and I still will have certain type heads that end up with a puff of smoke after I paint but they come out flawless. So don't worry about adding a little more heat, like I said, as long as you don't heat to the point of the paint scorching you'll be fine.

Offline jmill

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 01/22/18 08:13 UTC »
i hold it by the hook and the first part i dip will have a little place that the paint doesnt stick too. wondering if i should try cleaning them with something before painting?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/22/18 08:31 UTC »
jmill....

Be sure to stir the paint up well before you use it....make it real fluffy and loose. I use a small bamboo skewer for this. Then when you dip the heated head do so in a circular motion and very quickly. This will assure coverage and will get the least amount of pain on the head yet still cover completely. Even using an air bed will need to move the jig in a circular motion at times to get complete coverage.