Author Topic: Help Diagnosing a mold problem  (Read 2646 times)

Offline SoManyChoices

• Minnow
Help Diagnosing a mold problem
« on: 01/22/18 12:43 UTC »
Hey guys I need some help.

Recently I have noticed that near the top of the bait on the seam line I'm getting a pit dimple or divot.  I have looked the molds up and down and have looked inside the sprue while the mold was clamped to make sure stuff was lining up properly and I cant see it.   This is driving me crazy cause its really only cosmetic and doesn't affect the baits ability to catch fish.  It's just that some customers are picky with their hard earn money as they should be and want perfection.

Here is a picture.  Any advice or criticism is appreciated.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Help Diagnosing a mold problem
« Reply #1 on: 01/22/18 13:38 UTC »
Run a cotton swab along that edge and see if it catches a burr. Sometimes they are so small you just don't notice them.

The thing is that a burr normally causes a swirl in the plastic as it flows around the burr, which I don't see.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/22/18 13:41 UTC »
First off
is this a single cavity, pour or injection mold ?

billygee

Offline SoManyChoices

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 01/22/18 13:56 UTC »
!2 cavity  injection.  Thinking it might be speed. seems the slower I push the better they are.

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/22/18 14:07 UTC »
Hmmm !

So am I to understand your experiencing this dimple on all 12 ? 

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/22/18 15:15 UTC »
  Try when you inject to push slow and then hold pressure for 10 seconds and then top the spur. I have several molds that need the hold to work well.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/22/18 16:11 UTC »
Strange color around it...or is that just the lighting of the pic?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline SoManyChoices

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 01/22/18 16:25 UTC »
Mot sure what you mean by strange color.  The light in the room is LED.  Its the only light that gives me a true to daylight optics. The weird thing is on my phone that bait is a hot pink but I had to upload the file to my PC to change over to JPG and the color changed to a little darker than that.  Yes it was in all 12 pcs.

UPDATE: I have figured it out with someone elses help and expertise that it is indeed a speed issue.  Apparently I'm getting enough vent flow that I can ram it home so to speak and I'm trapping air in that corner.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/22/18 18:38 UTC »
I also have a couple of molds that are sensitive to speed. Weird thing is they are molds that are fairly straight cavities similar to your picture. If I shoot them slowly, they come out great as you discovered. Good work finding the solution!

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 01/23/18 07:58 UTC »
Yeah if it a carrot mold then you’ll have to shoot it slow. They have pour ventilation for air to escape.