Author Topic: Lure making work spaces  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Lure making work spaces
« on: 01/25/18 21:26 UTC »
Since my dreams of moving back to Fort Worth are starting to die off in the last few days my wife is on the path to us buying a home. Rightfully so! We do need to buy a house again. the home we are in is pretty small for the 6 of us but we make it work. We have also been renting for the 5 years since we have been in Oklahoma wich is too long. I am wanting to get some ideas on what to do or not do as far as lure making work spaces in a garage or shop. What makes the production flow smooth and well organized. Affordably done as well. I am mainly looking for soft plastics and led jig head making areas as well as hard plastics painting. Nothing that takes up a whole garage I’m still going to need to park the bike and one of the trucks in there.

What has worked for you and what would you have done over? Pictures appreciated if you care too I know some people don’t want to show off all their possessions but visuals help.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
Re: Lure making work spaces
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/18 05:04 UTC »
For me portability is key since I don’t pour year round. I built a cabinet and attached metal casters on it. This keeps my plastic and lead equipment. I also built a wooden table where the legs fold up. When not in use I move them to the side in the garage. Just keep in mind during the planning to allow room for extra stuff like colors and molds.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/26/18 07:43 UTC »
I agree on the BIG roller tool cabinet. I bolded BIG for the obvious reason that you will have a lot more molds later! The other reason for the biggest cabinet you can afford or find at a garage sale is you need the top work space. The big advantage of the cabinet is that you can move your workspace to areas of better ventilation. I have a folding table that I often use for more work area. A cabinet with a power strip on is really handy.

There are also some pretty nice rolling carts for the microwave.

I have the traditional work bench and cabinets at the back of my garage which is nice and roomy but is really not optimal for good ventilation without a number of fans running to move out the bad air and move it some good air. I have a side window in the garage which I have a big fan in to pull air out and one to the far side of the bench to push bad air towards the window. During our 4 weeks of nice weather a year I would really like to be able to move my workspace to the front of the garage with the doors open.

I think the advantage of starting off portable is that if you eventually end up with a large, permanent workbench you can always slide your portable solution under (or beside) your big bench...nothing lost!
« Last Edit: 01/26/18 08:38 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Thembonez

• Keeper
Lure making work spaces
« Reply #3 on: 01/26/18 08:36 UTC »
Upon relocating and leaving my brand new 2 car “workshop” garage. I settled into a nice house with a view only to find the current garage substandard. A little outdated and rough, the burning issue was lack of power. With only roughly 15-20 amps being supplied, it made even running the microwave dim the lights. So this past fall with other house projects ongoing, I said enough was enough. Rented a trencher, and now have 100 amps at my disposal. That being said I have installed a 600 cfm fan and also have dedicated outlets. When planning you work area take into account all your power needs and double it. Can’t have enough outlets and juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: 01/26/18 08:37 UTC by Thembonez »

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/26/18 20:31 UTC »

Looks really nice,well thought out. If I could only keep mine a little neater. Most the time, looks like a bomb went off.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/26/18 22:42 UTC »
Thembonz that’s a very nice set up.

A rolling tool box is great idea, wish I would have thought of that but I’m glad you guys did.  Im sure one of our 2 remaing Sears will go out soon. The last one that did had some good deals the last few days on Craftsman stuff. We also have a regional chain that Harbor Freight is starting to put out store by store some a good deal will turn up. I have a 3M rolling metal cart that we already have to microwave on so I’m on the right track there. I just want to get a butcher block top made for to elevate it on the top.

I like the folding table idea for taking down for space. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/28/18 09:10 UTC »
I’m very new to it but I keep my stuff boxed up and pour lead and plastic on my back porch. It’s rarely too cold in south Alabama and with the ceiling fans I get plenty of air movement.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/28/18 17:03 UTC »
I have two separate workstations.  One in the garage where I do my plastics, lead and dipping lures in MCU.  The other is upstairs where I do my airbrushing and putting my jigs, spinners, etc together.  I'll put some pictures down below; don't judge me on how messy my garage station is!  Getting ready for some spring fishing, dipping lures and all my other projects are beginning to run together and I'm in serious need of some spring cleaning!

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/28/18 17:23 UTC »
That’s not messy at all I have seen much much worse. I’m thinking peg board will be a key to this as well.

Thanks for sharing

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/28/18 21:28 UTC »
My work space looks like a couple of plastisol grenades went off in it.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/29/18 07:43 UTC »
Just realized the forum turned my pictures sideways  ::)