Author Topic: Nicer weather =  (Read 858 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Nicer weather =
« on: 01/31/18 15:19 UTC »
.....more boat fishing for walleyes. This warm weather is putting more boats on the big river's walleye waters and things have been favorable to a decent bite. Jigs and minnows have always been a stand-by winter way to catch walleyes but plastics weigh in on this big time too. Some just drag a ring-worm or split tail minnow while others drift along and vertical jig trying to keep the boat and current moving at the same rate. Other will toss jigs rock rip-rap and do pretty darned well and that's where today's jig casting has been focused.

I got out the Midwest Finesse mold today and spun up a couple hundred hooks worth of the six cavities as sample jigs, then got out the Nastys and cooked up some for myself. Often called a Ned Head because of the bass rigging using this head, the Midwest head is picking up steam with the walleye boys it seems. The compact head works very well in and around the rock where these guys are pitching the heads dressed with a plastic and the fairly broad range of weights they find useful in staying out of snags...the heads will bump and tumble down over the rock and can be dislodged quickly with a little flick of the wrist and this is likely the time old marble eyes decides he has to make dinner of the rig.

The smallie bite has been something else too for these guys working the rock.

Some people are mistaking the tip-up head for the Midwest finesse so I cooked up some samples to drop off at some bait shops. The picture has a full compliment of the sizes all done in ProTec Junebug powder coat and I have a 1/4 ounce tip up head with a size 2 hook as a size and shape comparison. The jigs go from 1/16 on the left to 1/4 on the right. The Midwest mold will take either a 1 or 1/0 hook, both work in all cavities but they also will cast fine. Just to know I cast heads using hooks to 2/0 but some of the eyes/legs were balky and as small as a #2 hook. The #2 cast fine in all cavities. The mold needed to be warm for good castings and since I hand cast I found it best to fill a cavity then dump the ladle and re-fill for the next. Bottom pouring furnaces should have zero issues.

I never really gave much thought to having this mold but the walleye guys peaked my interest so I got one and can now see where this has a solid place in my walleye fishing.

Online Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
Re: Nicer weather =
« Reply #1 on: 01/31/18 20:10 UTC »
What’s it like having fishing boats on the water with all the barges? Any time I have been to the Mississippi there is a handful of barges are there less barges that far north or do you just learn control the chaos and stay out of the way?
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/31/18 20:13 UTC »
You just stay out of the way lol. There won't be any barges this time of year though. Usually not till March.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/31/18 20:17 UTC »
Great looking jigs. The warm days are a tease. Might have to take a trip to the river just to get out of the house.

Online Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/18 20:31 UTC »
You just stay out of the way lol. There won't be any barges this time of year though. Usually not till March.

I suppose they are docked or south this time of year I think it’s always been spring or summer when I have been to the Mississippi and the farthest north has been LeClair/Moline.
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/31/18 22:32 UTC »
Too much ice up this way. They stay south. They usually anounce when they bring the ice breaker up through lake pepin.

Offline Kyle

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/18 08:21 UTC »
What’s it like having fishing boats on the water with all the barges? Any time I have been to the Mississippi there is a handful of barges are there less barges that far north or do you just learn control the chaos and stay out of the way?

Move it or lose it when it comes to the barge traffic.  One of the biggest issues I encounter with barges is when they dock up and tie up lines of barges along good rip rap and places that hold fish.  Especially on a higher water year when the fish stack up in certain key spots and 90% of the fish are located in 10% of the water, barges can take a lot of spots out of play. 

Barge traffic can also hinder your water clarity as they stir up the bottom and throw sediment around.  This can be a good or bad thing at times.  If you are fishing during the day a little stain is a good thing but for a guy that likes to fish at night one would like to have the cleaner water.  I'm also a believer that the suction effect you get from a barge, that sucks water over a wingdam, can actually trigger fish into a mini feeding frenzy as all of the bait fish relating to the rocks gets sucked out of their hiding places and can make for an easy meal.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/18 09:38 UTC »
One of the biggest issues I encounter with barges is when they dock up and tie up lines of barges along good rip rap and places that hold fish.  Especially on a higher water year when the fish stack up in certain key spots and 90% of the fish are located in 10% of the water, barges can take a lot of spots out of play. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

There's a 200 foot stretch of water right in downtown Red Wing between the grain loading dock and the train station where the lasso those barges to mooring poles. Right behind those poles is a beautiful run of rip rap that has a reverse eddy during high water and some sumo walleye will hug right up to it. That eddy creates a fairly quiet little puddle of water so a person can cast it from shore as long as the water isn't super high. When the river get over nine foot of stage this eddy this exists but not fishable from shore but can be fished from a boat. This however usually is not possible due to barges moored on those mooring poles and its during this much higher water that the real hunks like to hang in there.