Author Topic: Best Mold for Catching Crappie + Yellow Perch  (Read 4297 times)

Offline msmcfa

• Minnow
Hi all -

I've been making a few lures from do-it for a several years now, but mostly been keyed in on smallmouth fishing. However, a friend of mine wants to hit the waters this month in search of crappie +
yellow perch (and walleye too, but we'll probably use live bait for that), so I was wondering what lure molds you'd suggest for such a trip. We'll mainly be targeting yellow perch via a slow troll. The standard go-to bait for this time of year, in this water, is a Souther Pro 2" Hot Grub in acid rain (two tone white + chartreuse, essentially), but I'd love to pull something outta the hat that can out fish my buddy. :)

Thanks!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Best Mold for Catching Crappie + Yellow Perch
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/18 08:47 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums MS....

I'll assume you are a bit further south from Minnesota and Iowa...open water reference. I'll make a few suggetions for you based on the open water assumption and also on the chance of walleye.

The 2" baits:

Thumper Fry
CC Glider
Flap Jack
Mayfly

2.25" and/or 2.5" baits:

Small Fry 2.25 or 2.5"
Crappie Carrot 1.75 - 2.5"
Stinger Wutz-It 2.5"

From the new baits recently released:

2.75" Fat Fork  -  Both of these baits are great crossover baits that will catch walleye as well as larger crappies and also will tear up smallies. I have a
                          couple years of personal on-water experience with the Fat Fork and can attest to the effectiveness of this bait on all three of those
                          just mentioned. The 3" Ripper has already accounted for walleyes on the Mississippi River in this area this winter since its release.
3" Ripper
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline msmcfa

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 02/04/18 09:40 UTC »
Thanks for welcome CTOM, and the detailed response/recommendations!

I live in VA, and we'll be in the eastern waters on medium sized reservoirs. I confess, I checked out your pinterest page + it's amazing; you're on a whole other level than I am and shooting baits, and your jigheads are beautiful. Do you sell any of these?

I don't think I'll be able to resist picking up the ripper, and now I'm tempted on the Fat Fork as well.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/18 12:01 UTC »
For intermediate bait sizes that 3" Ripper, the 2 3/4" Fat Fork and the 2 1/2" Thump-it really take the cake. I know from personal experience that the Fat Fork and the 2 1/2" Thump-It will take walleye/sauger, smallies, largemouth, both black and white crappies, sunfish/bluegill, white bass, sheephead, carp, channel cat, dogfish, northern pike and at least small muskies.

Some may feel that the three baits may be too large for crappie but don't fool yourself. Even the larger sunfish/bluegills will smack these right long with perch. The 2 1/2" Thump It gave up a 15" Mississippi River perch. Several 9 to 9 1/2" sunfish have come on the Fat Fork. All one needs to be aware of is that while these baits can fish beautifully on a light jig, they do call for a slightly larger hook for clearance. I don't fish any of these three on least than a size 4 hook and most often on a size 2. Head size is something that the fish will dictate but I like using 1/32 heads which gives all three a real teaser drop rate and yes I cast a #2 hook on a 1/32 with no problems whatever.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/18 13:15 UTC »
My most productive crappie baits last year had some surprises in them (for me).  My top producer by far was the 2 inch kaitech knockoff from baitmold that thing was killer for me but it also had a lot of exposure.  Next was the 2.25 inch small fry, kind of on the small end for me and I use it primarily in the very early and very late part of the season (usually fished deep under a slip bobber very slowly).  My next best was the 3 inch skinny carrot.  I did not give it a fair shot during the season until very late but it quickly became a go to for me.   One of the baits I am looking forward to this year is the little 1.75 inch caney creek frog.  This little bugger kicks up a storm and I am looking forward to using it.  I could go on and on but you get the gist.   There are a lot of quality molds that make some great baits.  Good time to be a baitmaker.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/04/18 13:23 UTC »
Have to agree with Tom.
Sometimes size doesn't matter when a fish is hungry.
Case in point this nice Perch I caught with the 3" Ripper.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/04/18 14:10 UTC »
Have to agree with Tom.
Sometimes size doesn't matter when a fish is hungry.
Case in point this nice Perch I caught with the 3" Ripper.

Ahh, but size does matter.  That perch is the perfect size for a sammich
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/18 15:41 UTC »
That’s a nice perch MT
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline jackie53

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/18 20:27 UTC »
Love smallmouth fishing,Now target crappie.My 2 cents cannot,cannot beat the Crappie carrots,1.75 in-3 in carrots, 1.75 and 2.5 for crappie,"1.75 will fit in the 2.5 for two color baits and the 3 in cannot be beat for the Ned Rig for Smallmouth!! Our 2 cents for what it is worth.
« Last Edit: 02/04/18 20:29 UTC by jackie53 »

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #9 on: 02/05/18 08:47 UTC »
Ay, what Jackie said.
The Venerable Carrots, like the .270 Winchester cartridge, are so good they're boring.
Carrots are good for the 'Eyes, and many other Species.
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/05/18 13:38 UTC »
I get all of my crappies on baits with some action. Carrots....not so much.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/05/18 15:06 UTC »
I get all of my crappies on baits with some action. Carrots....not so much.

I shoot my skinny carrots in a super soft formula (3 tablespoons softener to 4 oz of med plastisol).  That is pushing the envelope but baits have plenty of action.  An added benefit is they will usually stretch enough to avoid being bitten in two by bluegills.  The head, however, becomes more vulnerable around the collar but it is still good for 7 or 8 fish and I can live with that

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #12 on: 02/05/18 16:27 UTC »
Aw yeah, Sarge, I shoot many-many of my baits in a Stupid Soft, usually a 16-ounce batch, 14 ozs Original Floating Super Soft plus 2 ozs Softener, and some are softer than that.

Do-it 6" Finesse Worms and 7" Skinnies love that stuff...and the Bass agree.
4" Finesse Worms (5/16" Carrot) like it too, in some applications.  3" Skinnies love it for Swim Jig Trailers.

I makes 'em wiggle.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline msmcfa

• Minnow
« Reply #13 on: 02/09/18 05:03 UTC »
Thanks for all the feedback!  I think I'm 'hooked' on that 3" ripper and that fat fork. Can't wait to give 'em a shot, and I'll post some pics if we have any luck come spring.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/09/18 05:43 UTC »
Good luck to you this spring msmcfa! Welcome to the world of bait makers addiction.