Author Topic: Go Go Grub  (Read 218 times)

Online Shaunm81

• Kicker
Go Go Grub
« on: 02/05/18 15:23 UTC »
Anyone have any idea why I keep getting air in the tails? I re positioned my clamps and added more and less pressure on the clamps.  added a drop of worm oil also to the tails section. anyone else have any trouble ?are these pan fish molds just harder to shoot ?  I made several 3.5" Ripper Baits out of the same plastic and those turned out really good.  Thanks

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Go Go Grub
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/18 16:23 UTC »
Try shooting it really slow....REALLY sloooooooow! Gives the air a chance to get out the vents.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/05/18 17:58 UTC »
Just tried that it does work but now getting tails halfway done so not sure what going on.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/05/18 18:18 UTC »
  Suck up hot plastic in your injector and hold the nose up in the air and purg the air out of it. Then inject and hold pressure for a ten count. That should get all the air out.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 02/05/18 21:26 UTC »
Thanks Lamar I tried that it definitely helped out but still once in a while get some with air. I kind of wonder if the cold might have done something to the plastisol as its been cold here in Ohio and ups dropped off last week but im not sure really.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/05/18 21:33 UTC »
I used to have a ton of trouble with these tails (although mine was the 2.5 inch swim fry).  I whined and moaned on this site for days on end and finally gave up.  The answer came to me when I was trying to shoot a jacobs 2 inch curly tail bait and had trouble with the tails forming.  When I looked at the mold I noticed the runner was extremely narrow and the plastic was cooling before it could get all the way into the tails.  So I shot it hard and fast and it worked.  Sooo I went digging thru my stuff for the swim fry mold.  Would it work?  Yep.  Shot her hard and everything filled in fine.  These are pretty much the only molds I use this technique on but it works for me.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/06/18 17:33 UTC »
Im glad you got it figured out and thanks for the help it definitely does frustrate a person .  I noticed you definitely have to shoot it fast.  I did what Lamar suggested by purge the air out of the injector and air did come out but im trying to figure out what is causing the bubbles in the plastisol in the first place .  im not sure if im causing it by re adding the sprue  and the extra plastic from the baits? Just not sure really on that.