Author Topic: Red Hooks  (Read 504 times)

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
Red Hooks
« on: 02/09/18 14:03 UTC »
Was wondering who all uses Red Hooks and how do you go about baking them once you powder coat?I noticed every time (very few) that I have baked them my Red Hooks change from the nice looking Red color to a darker cast of Red. So anyway is there any trick ?my toaster oven is set at 350 and been baking for the 20 minutes.  I have a bunch of Pony Head and  Herring Heads made up but unsure what to do here. Thanks 

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Red Hooks
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/18 14:25 UTC »
I use nothing  but black nickel/black chrome.It could be the red ones you have are painted as opposed to anodized too. Anodizing is electrically applied and won’t or shouldn’t change color.

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/09/18 23:08 UTC »
Thanks yeah thats got to be what it is then.  Yeah I like the black platinum better also so I guess I wont get no more of the Red Hooks

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/18 07:13 UTC »
Thinking back, I believe most of the red colored hooks I've purchased were gold plate hooks dipped in red. It didn't take much to wear through the red coating. Saw your flathead on the gallery. Nice fish Shaunm81! 20+?
« Last Edit: 02/10/18 07:36 UTC by Lines »

Offline Shaunm81

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 02/11/18 18:46 UTC »
Thinking back, I believe most of the red colored hooks I've purchased were gold plate hooks dipped in red. It didn't take much to wear through the red coating. Saw your flathead on the gallery. Nice fish Shaunm81! 20+?

Thank you im not tuthfully sure unfortunately I never had my scales but that is the first time I ever fished that river and  caught on a big gizzard shad.  It fought pretty good took me a while to get it to the bank.  I took it to my taxidermist and had a repruduction mount of it done. He told me based on length and girth it should be around 32 lb but I always wanted a cat fish mount done always thought they look cool but I know wasnt no monster but I really don't care just always wanted one for my wall and thought that one would be pretty cool to have done with but it sure took a hit on my wallet lol