Author Topic: In progress shrimp mold.  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
In progress shrimp mold.
« on: 02/10/18 17:02 UTC »
I found a company to actually take a mold they already had in production and make a shrimp mold out of it. 
This is the design he came up with, he should be making it soon. 
If it comes out good I'm going to get him to make a multi cavity mold.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
Re: In progress shrimp mold.
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/18 17:09 UTC »
Body will be 3" long.

Offline cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/10/18 17:26 UTC »
As an avid saltwater guy it is a nice thought.  However I think your own fly is a better version than this mold. This mold still tends to look like a crawfish in its appendages and head area.  It will work though to catch fish I believe.   

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/18 17:47 UTC »
Sweet looking but your shrimp is awesome. Nice design and it should get the job done. The wide flat bottom should make it glide/ fall horizontal in the water like a shrimp. Sure is nice that someone is willing to do a shrimp by request.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 02/11/18 17:51 UTC »
I was actually doing this before I made the shrimp. The price to get it done was so cheap I couldn't pass it up.

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/11/18 20:37 UTC »
I know this mold maker....  Very kind dude for sure and willing to do much for anyone who asks, and is good at cutting molds!  ...but he does not have a way or the time to test prototype baits for action, glide rate, whether or not they swim true, etc.

I agree with CC1, and I too fish the salt- every day just about, right out of my back yard.  This bait looks great, but as a Crawfish.  No doubt bass will inhale that thing.  I like the length on the legs.  Nice looking bait. ..but again, looks like a craw without the pincers.

...as are some others I know and appreciate very much, I am still looking for that "just right" shrimp mold.

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
« Reply #6 on: 02/11/18 23:40 UTC »
I know this mold maker....  Very kind dude for sure and willing to do much for anyone who asks, and is good at cutting molds!  ...but he does not have a way or the time to test prototype baits for action, glide rate, whether or not they swim true, etc.

I agree with CC1, and I too fish the salt- every day just about, right out of my back yard.  This bait looks great, but as a Crawfish.  No doubt bass will inhale that thing.  I like the length on the legs.  Nice looking bait. ..but again, looks like a craw without the pincers.

...as are some others I know and appreciate very much, I am still looking for that "just right" shrimp mold.
Maybe one day someone will make a good mold.
Reds will eat almost anything, I can't tell you how many reds I've caught on plastic craws sight fishing.
 The biggest part to a lure is the color in my opinion. There's a ton of swimbaits that are the color of shrimp, the fish still eat them even though it looks like a cocohoe.
 Specks on the other hand can be a little more picky at times,  I don't think there NOT going to eat it based on it looking similar to a craw though.

Offline cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/18 02:55 UTC »
The reality for most on the coast is tackle stores and large dealers like cabelas, academy, wal-mart, etc. can't keep enough stock on the popular colors.  Most say color does not matter but that has been proven wrong down here repeatedly.  Been in a boat plenty of times with guys using the same setup and the same bait but different color and one out perform the other.  In the winter I have seen the BTS 702 2inch craw perform well on the water but in the spring and summer no way will the 3.75 work as well.  Most guys down here that pour baits actually started because every time they went to the store not many baits that they used where still there.  If they were you usually bought 4 or 5 bags that remained to have enough for the weekend or two.  Fortunately where I am located it is not uncommon to catch 100 fish a day, in the spring when shrimp start to run you typically can catch more on a shrimp than any other bait, salts version of match the hatch.  Who ever creates a quality shrimp mold will find orders in droves from the south just for spring fishing alone.  Do-It and the Icraw inspire that thought for all saltwater guys I believe.  Color will play a role but when the mold is developed then we can do what we do best and play with color.  Your fly is awesome, I dont know how it will fish with its fall or swim style but it appears to be a killer lure.  I think I will give RTV one more shot and try to create a great mold for what me and several guys need down here.  I am terrible at using RTV but I may get lucky.  Until then tight lines man and once again what a great looking fly you made. 

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 02/12/18 04:05 UTC »
Food for thought any way to make 3 sections of the tail so its articulated.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
« Reply #9 on: 02/12/18 06:41 UTC »
Food for thought any way to make 3 sections of the tail so its articulated.
You could but it wouldn't last without some type of fiber layed in it.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/12/18 09:58 UTC »
It's good to see some interest/demand for a quality shrimp mold.  Some of you here already know we've been working on developing a shrimp mold this past year.  We look forward to introducing that mold in the future as part of the realistic I-Series. 
« Last Edit: 02/12/18 10:11 UTC by Kyle »

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/12/18 10:41 UTC »
It's good to see some interest/demand for a quality shrimp mold.  Some of you here already know we've been working on developing a shrimp mold this past year.  We look forward to introducing that mold in the future as part of the realistic I-Series.

If it's anything like the iCraw then it will be a good one

Offline mrex

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 02/12/18 14:11 UTC »
I would like to see a shrimp mold made like a lead mold. Where you lay the hook in mold before injecting the plastic. Seeing how this is do it you could even make a lead mold with a small weight around the hook just enough to keep the shrimp below a cork. Right now we have nothing to compete with the retail stores which all have a version of a weighted shrimp.

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/12/18 15:07 UTC »
  If it's anything like the iCraw then it will be a good one

We have made some pretty ones, getting it to swim is the most important thing.  Just need cc1 to be able to catch fish on it.  :P

Offline Coastalwaters

• Yearling
« Reply #14 on: 02/12/18 15:48 UTC »
We have made some pretty ones, getting it to swim is the most important thing.  Just need cc1 to be able to catch fish on it.  :P
Pics or it didn't happen! Lol